Chapter Six

I sat quietly in Faction History, minding my own business and ignoring Ellie.

She's been trying to get my attention all day and has yet to stop her efforts. After the peace serum wore off, I became even more pissed. Only a day later, and I still am. I'm not only upset with her, I'm upset with my parents aswell. It felt as if they were blaming me, when it wasn't even my fault. I didn't ask Scotty to force himself on me, I didn't ask Eric to rescue me.

So when I left for school this morning, I didn't bother to say goodbye. I just slipped out the door, past Ellie's house, and waited for the bus.

I was drawn out of my thoughts when I heard the instructor call my name. I immediately sat straight up as she stared down at me from behind her Erudite glasses.

"You've been dismissed from class."

My eyes darted to the small piece of paper in her hand - a dismissel sheet. Who had given her that?

I didn't question her, even though she gave me no explantion as to why I was being dismissed. I quickly gathered my books and stuffed them in my shoulder bag, then made my way out of the classroom.

I looked at the clock mounted on the wall in the hallway. Class was almost over for the day, but why was I dismissed at least a half an hour early?

Turning the corner, I headed for the exit. Where was I suppose to go? The bus didn't arrive until the end of class, and there was no way I was walking all the way home.

"Just the girl I was looking for." I heard someone say.

Before I could turn around to match a face to the voice, I was slammed into the nearest wall. I let out a groan as my head collided with the concrete, my bag falling from my shoulder and onto the floor. I shook my head to clear my clouded vision. I knew that voice. I just couldn't figure out who it belonged to. The ringing in my ears was much too loud to even think.

My attacker bent down to gather my spilled bag, then straightened up and held it out to me. My eyes scanned from the outstretched hand, along the arm and neck tattoos, all the way up to a face, finally registering who it was.

"Eric?" I grimaced. "Was that really necessary?"

"Yes." He answered, shoving my bag into my hands when I didn't take it right away. He roughly grabbed me by the arm and dragged me towards the exit. "You and I need to have a chat."

He pulled me all the way outside and around the building. Once we were in an alley way, he let go of me. While he searched to make sure it was clear of factionless, I dropped my things on the ground and pressed myself flat against the building wall.

Eric made his way back towards me and didn't hesitate to get in my face. He planted a hand beside my head on the concrete behind me for support, and leaned in close. I could feel his breath on my skin.

"I got an unexpected call today, Scarlett." He began. My stomach knotted at the sound of my name coming from his mouth. "Imagine my surprise when I answered it and heard Johanna Reyes on the other end."

"Well, it's not really unexpected. I mean, what did you expect? What happened last night was-" My blabbering was immediately cut short.

He let out a frustrated growl and suddenly, his hands were on me. His fingers locked down on my shoulders and he squeezed tightly, his pupils blown. I cried at the pressure and tried to pry off his grip, but my arms were pinned to my sides.

"This isn't a game!" He shouted. "I could lose my position in leadership if you don't keep your fucking mouth shut!"

"I didn't say anything!" I argued, struggling to get out of his hold. "You're hurting me, let go!"