Chapter Five

My parents sent a search party the second they heard what had happened. Except, what they heard wasn't the true story at all.

Apparently, after Scotty regained consciousness, he stumbled over to Ellie's place. Instead of telling her the truth, he made up the most ridiculous story. He told her that he and I went strolling through the woods after hearing what sounded like an animal. We tried to find it, but no such luck. We went to turn back to the field, but a Dauntless member, Eric, crossed our path. He then said that Eric tried to force himself upon me, to which Scotty fought him off. After Eric beat him senseless, he kidnapped me.

I couldn't scream bullshit loud enough.

"That's not true!"

I sat in the office of Johanna Reyes, the representative of Amity. My parents sat beside me as Johanna sat in a chair behind her desk. She was on her way to Dauntless when we ran into her, my parents begging to have a word with her.

"Look at your face! If Eric didn't do that to you, who did?"

"Scotty did!"

"Why would he do that?" My father asked.

"Because he tried to rape me!"

"This doesn't make anysense-"

"Daisy, Mac." Johanna interrupted the conversation, referring to my parents. "I'd like to have a word with Scarlett on her own, if you don't mind."

My mother blinked. "Why can't we listen?"

"You two aren't giving her the chance to explain herself. I'll call for you when we're finished."

My parents squeezed my hands as they got up and sulked their way out of the room. When the door clicked shut, I let out a long sigh.

Johanna was right. My parents were making it difficult to defend myself.

Johanna stood from her chair and made her way around to face me and lean against her desk, her hands folded in front of herself. We just stared at each other for a minute, a warm expression on her features. My eyes tried not to stare at the scar that ran from her left eye down to her chin.

"Scarlett," She started, softly. "I remember the night they found you. My, how you've grown since then."

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I'm a mess."

"I apologize that you haven't had a chance to clean yourself up, but I'd really like to settle this nightmare."

"You and me both." I muttered.

"So, why don't you explain to me your absence. If Eric didn't kidnap you, where have you been?"

"Can I start from the beginning? It'll be easier that way."

She nodded, and I took a deep breath.

I explained everything to her. I started with how I knew Eric because I would sneak on the train at night and ride it. Then, I moved onto when I fell from the truck and how he caught me. I added that in just to show Johanna that he wasn't as dangerous as everyone thinks he is.

I went on to tell her about my date with Scotty, and how we traveled into the woods. I stopped short suddenly, wondering if I should tell her about Eric favoring the Amity fields for their view of the stars. Johanna tilted her head, an eye brow raised. I remembered the look on his face when he told me about his love of constellations. He seemed a bit embarrassed, so I quickly decided that I would spare that detail from Johanna.

I continued on to tell her that we went after an animal, which matched up with Scotty's story. However, I told her, that was the only similarty between our alibi's.