Chapter 29

Virgil's POV

Once the guard is gone, everyone starts talking. For the most part they're arguing about whether we should stay here or see what's happening. And considering the situation, I need them to stay out of the way. Well, I don't need to, but it'd be a heck of a lot safer if they did stay here.

I look around until I find a certain non-binary that could scare these kids into submission, "Reese!" They look at me, "I need you to keep everyone here, I'd suggest making sure a couple are ready to take a swing at any of the guards that might come back."

"You expect me to yell at a bunch of children while what, you go out there and get to kick some a$$ or something?!" They ask, obviously jealous.

"Yeah pretty much," I agree quietly. They did sum it up pretty well and I didn't know how to put it better.

They sigh, "Sound like fun... Alright sad sacks listen up I'm in charge now!" They yell, climbing up on a rock and successfully getting everyone's attention.

They start barking out orders and I take my chance to leave and find the idiot that I may or may not have a crush on. I slip out into the hallway, finding it empty except for a couple of unconscious people covered in...jam yeah let's go with that. I really don't want to consider the other options and after I make sure that Patton and Logan aren't among them, I keep moving.

I could check upstairs, but based on the aforementioned bodies I don't think they'd be up there. But where would Roman be? He'd probably join the fray as soon as possible, but that's also assuming he would be able to find them. Who am I kidding, Roman can sense adventure from over a mile away. It's probably how he found an exit in the first place now that I think about it.

I take off down the hall, deciding to check the bunks first. I mean you never know, he might have something hidden there besides the stuff in the wall safe that he could help. Unsurprisingly, he isn't there. I kinda expected that, but it sure as hell would've been a lot easier to talk him out of whatever he plans on doing if he was here.

Next, I decide that everyone's most likely somewhere around Castillo's office, seeing as that's who they are here for. Then again, all of this is assuming that Logan and Patton are here with a small army, in which case no one will get mad at me for simply being out in the hall. And if it isn't Logan and Patton, then Roman could've easily been hurt on the way to assist our would-be rescuers. Or worse, one of the 'good guys' could have hurt Roman and if they did I'd hate them forever. Well, unless it's Patton. Patton would already feel horrible enough if he shot anyone, especially his kiddo's friend.

God dammit, where are they?! Even though I know where they probably are, I can't help but stop and peek inside every room on the way. And each time I find an empty room I get more and more worried, which isn't helping anything because I'm already getting tired of running because I'm really out of shape, and holy sh!t I can barely breathe. Now is not the time to have a panic attack dumba$$, we need to find Roman!

I take a second to catch my breath, which is still erratic but I can worry about that later, and realize that I have no idea where I am. Seriously, who designed the place because everything looks the same! Why does everything have to look the same? Why can't it just be simple? Why the hell can't I figure out if I'm in love with my best friend?!

I just have to calm down, but calming down takes time, and what if that time would be better spent finding Roman because he could be very well bleeding out right now! And then it'd be all my fault and I'd never have the chance to figure out how I feel about him, but if I don't feel the same could we still be friends?

That would be awkward, wouldn't it? But if I do feel the same and he dies a horrible death because of me then I'd probably die from the guilt. Then Patton would fall into a state of depression because his 'dark strange son' is gone but he'd have Logan to help him through it. Or maybe I'm overreacting and Patton wouldn't miss me at all! Or maybe none of this will happen and I'm just wasting time.

Without quite realizing it, I took off in a random direction. I mean there were only two possible ways I could go so that seemed like a good enough chance, even though I questioned myself halfway through and started sprinting in the other direction. Of course, I don't know what I'm hoping to find since I could easily be going the wrong way... No! If I keep changing direction then I'm not gonna get anywhere. But I'll turn around one more time because this is a dead end, but I can't afford to be indecisive from here on out!

I go back the way I came, incredibly less cautious than I had been only minutes prior. I round the next corner quickly, and slam into a person-shaped wall. Despite the very dangerous results it could have, I look up.