ELEVEN

ELEVEN | BEGINNINGS

ELEVEN | BEGINNINGS

❝ You're still there for me,
I'm still here for you

SOPHIE'S POV

"Still no suspects" Will announced over his newspaper, with a furrowed brow and the same tone of worry that'd lingered behind in his voice since the bonfire.

"What are they saying?" She asked, before taking a bite out of her toast.

"Sheriff Donahue says he's close to catching whoever did it and the council wants to have a town assembly on Wednesday," he replied, placing down the newspaper on the table "They'll probably try to ban future bonfires or big events–"

"They can't do that, can they?"

"Well, some of the council members don't like big parties already, so I'm sure they'll try" He reckoned, in-between coffee sips "But I wouldn't worry, they've been trying to ban the annual bonfire since I was in high school and it's still around"

"Do you think they'll settle for just a few more regulations?" She asked, though, she knew they were probably going to do a lot more than that.

The public outrage was too big to take any rectifying measures lightly, so whatever they were gonna do, was probably gonna end up being just as big.

"Most likely" Will replied with a nod "And a curfew"

A curfew actually seemed like a done deal and it was understandable, considering the magnitude and severity of the situation, something she didn't become fully aware of until Sunday afternoon, and while she was past the initial shock of learning the jungle juice incident was just the tip of the iceberg in a set of very odd and mean-spirited events, she was still struggling to catch up with it all.

Will was calling it 'Murphy's night' and it truly felt like the right way to describe an evening where everything that could go wrong, had gone wrong. From the jungle juice disaster, to the electricity supply failing and almost resulting in more than one tragedy, cars mysteriously breaking down, people vandalizing the park and apparently even attempting to scorch it, while everyone was going through the jungle juice crisis, which she still couldn't understand.

It just seemed hard to believe someone would be dumb enough to put half of their school at risk over pulling what were clearly poorly thought-out pranks, unfortunately for them, that's exactly what the Riverwood Post was thinking.

They'd even dared to call it 'Portland's Event From Hell', which would've felt right, had they reported all the fights, theft and creeps who were thankfully beat up by all the girls who'd united to protect their own. Instead, they'd featured a whole section focused on attacking their entire class and putting the blame on them for being "wicked liberal teens", as if that had anything to do with it. Needless to day, the town's newspaper was biased.