THIRTEEN - PART ONE

THIRTEEN | BLOSSOMING VOL

VOL. 1

❝ I'm still trying everything,
    to keep you looking at me

SOPHIE'S POV

By the time Saturday morning arrived, Riverwood High's Otters were all prepped and ready to swim at the rally, which felt like a pretty big accomplishment in itself given the team's previous practice record.

Even Coach Jay admitted it'd been the first time the swimming team had committed to training as much as they had for the past few weeks, to the point every single member had successfully completed all the practice they needed for the rally and more, thanks to their team Captain's persistence no less, and while the odds were still very much against them, Sophie remained as optimistic as the day she'd promised Kai a win.

She'd even spent more time in the water than the rest of the team, in an effort to make up for the few weeks of pre-season training she'd missed after joining the team somewhat late. So, she'd made the decision to add some at-home-practice to catch up – with the help of Coach Will Harlow – which'd basically turned her life into a never-ending swimming session but she was determined to be a good teammate and that included doing her best efforts so they could have an actual shot at the rally.

However, even with all that practice, she still wasn't able to keep out all the nervousness that tried to take a hold of her after she arrived at the locker room and changed into her swimsuit.

And she could tell she wasn't the only one feeling that way.

In fact, pre-rally anxiety and nerves seemed to be the general consensus when it came to describing her teammates' faces at that very second, it made the entire locker room feel like one big stress zone, which definitely didn't help their situation.

"Sophie?" She heard Jo pipe up from her locker and she turned towards her, only to find her standing with a rather frightened look on her face and part of her wondered if she had the same expression too "Are you nervous? Because I so feel like barfing right now" The brunette admitted with worry and while Sophie wasn't there yet, she still gave her a nod in solidarity.

She knew Jo had to swim on the first event of the rally and the fact that she didn't have to swim until the third, gave her some comfort the first swimmers of the rally probably didn't have. So, she set her own fears aside and focused on giving Jo whatever reassurance she could before the race.

"Believe me, I'm totally losing it on the inside" She told her, which did seem to make the brunette feel a little bit better but the squeamish look on her face made it clear she was just as nervous.

"Promise me you won't let anyone see me ralph out there, if it comes down to that" Jo quavered, looking paler than usual and she had to admit she found the possibility of that actually happening to her equally as terrifying as she did.