Love

Dedicated to _come_along_pond_ for giving me inspiration to this chapter and the following ones.

Guess who's back? Omg, that took like a year. Wow, I'm slow at this. But as the title implied this story was on hold. But here we go. I hope you enjoy this chapter.
Please forgive any typos I wrote this between 1:30 am and 3:30 am. I'm a bit tired now. But anyway, here you go:

Chapter 10 - Love

The leaves were falling off the trees. Karolyn had always loved fall, the colors were so beautiful. But now she didn’t even notice it. She was stressed out about everything, most of all about how her brother wouldn’t even look at her and how much she liked Sirius but couldn’t act on it again, because sudden outbursts of strong emotions triggered the demon. It wasn’t something she’d experienced before, or she hadn’t made the connection before. That could be because she’d never been on such a small amount of the potion before and because she actually hadn’t felt like this for any boy before. She was frightened.

Karolyn sat with her back against a tree, her legs bent and her head buried in her arms, trying, and failing, at not crying. She was sobbing uncontrollably when a twig snapped somewhere behind her. Biting down on her lip to prevent to sobs from escaping, she prayed it wasn’t Sirius. She could not handle him seeing her like this.

“Karolyn?” It wasn’t Sirius, she looked up and through tears she recognized Remus.

“Yeah,” she sniffled.

Remus walked the few steps to the tree she sat by, “May I?” he asked. Karolyn nodded. So he sat down next to her. “Look, I know you know about me. Lily slipped up, and that was wrong of her, she’s not very good with secrets. But that also means I got her to tell me a little bit about your situation. I just thought you might want to know you’re not alone.” He said quietly.

Karolyn’s eyes widened in shock, she’d trusted Lily not to say anything to anyone, “What do you know?”

“She just told me that you believe you’re a monster because something happens to you that you can’t control.” Remus sighed, “That was how I felt too until James, Sirius and Peter learned about my secret. They didn’t push me away, they weren’t scared of me. They helped me. Let them help you too.”

“You’re a werewolf. Once a month you change into a wolf. I’m possessed by a demon and it assumes control over my body whenever it can and it won’t be for a single night, it can last for days. It is deliberately trying to kill me even when it’s not in control of my body, it controls my mind and my actions.” The girl started crying again before she’d finished her sentence. But Remus didn’t mind. He just put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close in a hug that made her cry more violently. She was rarely shown affection by anyone who knew her secret. For a while they sat on the ground. Karolyn had shifted so her legs rested on top of his, so she could cry into his shirt. Remus still had both arms around her, holding her close and not intending to let go before she was okay again.

“My brother won’t even look at me.” She eventually whispered when her tears had stopped, “He thinks I’m a monster.”

“Snape is not worthy of having such an amazing sister as you. He doesn’t know how to appreciate you.” Karolyn looked up at Remus’s face and felt her lips twitch into a small smile.

“Are you hitting on me?” she inquired. Remus chuckled as he ran his fingers through her hair.

“No. I’m just telling you the truth.” He sighed, “Sirius likes you a lot, I’ve never seen him like this before. You should think about telling him what you told me.” Karolyn bit down on her lip and looked irresolute.