Possessed

Chapter 7: Possessed

         “Black beetle eyes?” Lily asked incredulously and made a gagging noise. Her and Karolyn were sitting underneath one of the big trees by the black lake. “Frog brain? Rat spleen?” she continued, “You’re actually going to drink this potion?” Karolyn grinned at her friend.

         “Yes, I am going to drink this, but it’s really not that bad as you would think! You’re only focusing on the bad ingredients. Look, you have to use a butterscotch and some peppermint as well, those two ingredients give it a really great taste!” she said.

         “Sure. But there’s,” Lily wrinkled her nose, “ew, Karolyn! There’s horsehair in it! How can you drink it?” she gagged again.

         “I told you. It doesn’t taste bad at all.” Lily looked sceptical as Karolyn spoke. “Can you make this potion?” the French girl asked.

         “I think so. It looks a little complicated, but I’m sure I can do it.” Lily said while reading the instructions for the potion. “It seriously takes a week to make it?”

         “Yes, it has to be brewed during the first week of the new moon, one ingredient every day except for the first and the seventh day, but you can read that in the instructions.”

         “How long can you make it without the potion?”

         “I have enough for ten more days if I take small dozes.”

         “Ten days? That’s not enough time! It isn’t a new moon until next Wednesday! That means you’ll have to go four days without the potion.”

         “I know, Lily.” Karolyn was a bit surprised Lily knew exactly when it was a new moon. She didn’t take astronomy this year, so she didn’t have to follow the moon cycle anymore.

         “What is going to happen to you then?” the redheaded girl asked.

         “The demon inside me will be able to possess me whenever it wants to. I can’t be around other people when the potion isn’t in my system, I don’t trust myself to not hurt anyone. I'll just go to the Dark Forest and stay there until you’ve made the potion. Get James to bring it to me, he has already seen me possessed once, and I know he can protect himself against me.”

         “Why haven’t you ever been to one of the hospitals for magical injuries in France or in London?”

         “Because I’m too scared.”

         “Scared of what?”

         “Of what they’ll say. Scared of what they’ll do to me.” Karolyn’s voice had begun shaking. Lily put her arm around her friend.

         “I’m here for you, Karolyn. You’ll get through this.”

From a distance they just looked like two friends chatting in the last rays of the sun before it set like everyone else. That’s what it looked like to Sirius at least. He sat with his three friends near the edge of the Dark Forest, and even though Remus tried his best to make them all to do their assigned homework, Sirius couldn’t keep his eyes from Karolyn.

         “Padfoot! Concentrate!” said Remus as James punched their distracted friend, “Seriously, where is your attention today?”

         “Ha, Moony! Haven’t you noticed before? It isn’t just today, he has been like this since he met her!” grinned James and brought Sirius’ attention back to their group.