The Plan

Sirius was quiet for a while after Karolyn had told him about her demon. The silence was incredibly uncomfortable for her. It stretched for so long that she almost thought he'd regretted what he said just moments before. He didn't love her, how could he when he knew what she was. He was probably scared of her like everyone else were... No, not everyone else. Remus understood her, he wasn't scared of her.

Eventually Sirius spoke, "Do you know how the... uhm... demon acts around animals? Does it only attack other humans or does it attack animals as well when you're... possessed?"

Karolyn was taken aback. That was not the response she was prepared for. "I..." she was speechless, "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Sirius inquired, seeming quite curious.

"I black out when it possesses me. I don't know what I do, I don't know if I hurt animals. But why is that even relevant?" She sighed. It didn't make sense to her, that Sirius stood there talking about animals, when she had just told him she was most likely going to die, because a demon had taken hold of her spirit, and was trying to kill her.

"I can't say. Next time you feel it happening, just tell me, Remus, James or Lily. We can help. I think it's a bad idea telling you what I have in mind, if the demon is listening. Just trust me. I have an idea." Sirius said calmly.

"But,"

"No buts. Tell us if you feel like it's going to happen. We can help you."

"It's dangerous. I don't want you getting hurt, Sirius."

"I won't get hurt. I run around with a werewolf, I think I can handle you." He said as he carefully cupped her cheek with a hand. "Trust me."

Karolyn closed her eyes and sighed heavily, "Okay, if you're sure." She was shocked when Sirius lightly pecked her lips, and she opened her eyes again, and looked straight into his.

"I am." He smiled as he ran his fingers through Karolyn's long hair. "You're so beautiful. May I kiss you again?" he shocked her again. She hadn't thought he was the kind of guy to ask permission to kiss anyone.

"You can't. Strong emotions trigger the demon. I cannot allow myself to get lost in my emotions, it gives the demon a soft spot to break through and take over. I'm afraid to fall in love with you. I'm afraid that if I do, I won't be able to... I'm afraid I'll be possessed until the demon finally kills me."

"What does that mean for us?" Sirius looked slightly defeated. Karolyn took his hands in hers, and looked down at them.

"I don't know." His hands tensed, and she let them go. Looking into his eyes again, she could see the disappointment that she felt herself. If only she could be with him. She wanted nothing more, but she just couldn't do it. It was too dangerous. It would be the end of her if she opened her heart to Sirius.

"I have to go, but remember to tell any of us if you feel anything. We're ready to help." Sirius said before carefully kissing her cheek. He turned and went back to the castle where Remus still stood by the entrance waiting to hear what had just gone down between Sirius and Karolyn.

"You knew?" Sirius asked and Remus nodded, "Lily and James... they knew too?" Sirius felt left out. All of his closest friends knew about this, and they hadn't told him. He understood that it wasn't their secret to tell, but they still should have said something to him.

"Yes. Karolyn apparently attacked James a while ago in the dungeons during one of his evening patrols. And when he came back an hour later than usually, Lily accused him of seeing some other girl, or something, and he had to tell her something had happened, but he didn't want to spill Karolyn's secret. You know how he gets around her. He can't keep his mouth shut, that lovestruck fool. Karolyn then told Lily everything because she needed help with a potion to keep the demon contained, and Severus didn't want to help her anymore. I know because Lily accidentally told me some of it. She just wanted Karolyn to have someone to talk to. You know, someone who understands what it's like to be..."