09 | MISINTERPRETATION

YOU PINCH THE bridge of your nose, exhausted

YOU PINCH THE bridge of your nose, exhausted. Kageyama tilts his head like a confused puppy.

"Are you okay?" he asks, arms folded across his chest. You lean against the brick wall of the convenience store and look up at the clear blue sky. Truth be told, you aren't, but you don't feel like spewing your troubles to the black-haired boy. You don't want to dampen the mood. He's gone out of his way to meet up with you, after all.

"Yeah, I'm just mentally preparing myself to run," you say, though it isn't completely a lie. Other than your mandatory gym class at school, you don't exercise—you're usually too busy with student council duties or homework. You inhale a deep breath. You can't prolong the inevitable. Sending Kageyama a wary smile, you announce, "I'm ready for the pain and suffering whenever you are."

He simply nods in acknowledgement, and before you know it, Kageyama jogs off on his own. You purse your lips together.

"Wait for me!"

Though begrudgingly, you follow his grueling pace without complaint. The sidewalks are empty, with only a few cars driving past you.

Cheeks rosy, you let the crisp breeze brush against your face, and you watch as it carries the premature cherry-blossom petals from the budding twigs above you. Tied in a ponytail, your hair swings back and forth to the rhythm of your feet tapping against the concrete. You wipe away the beads of sweat on your forehead, determined to keep up with Kageyama. Your clothes cling onto your skin, and you can already feel your heart beginning to throb.

Ignoring your shortness of breath, you make small talk to take your mind off of things and pass by the time.

"How's your sister liking Hyogo?" you inquire, "I'm assuming she grew up in Miyagi like you."

You glance at Kageyama, who doesn't seem to have broken a sweat. Shrugging, he replies, "I think she likes it. She moved here because she found a job as a hairdresser, and she enjoys what she does."

There's a brief pause. You rack your brains for another point to bring up.

"Did your sister play volleyball like you back in high school?"