━━━━━ PROLOGUE

PLEASE STAY BY MY SIDE !❝—そばにいてください

❝—そばにいてください. ❞

 ❞

IT ALL BEGAN with a misunderstanding

"Thank you so much for finding Mr. Flippy!" you say. Before the mysterious boy can react, you grab the toy from his grasp and hug it into your chest.

Mr. Flippy is a stuffed dolphin plush that your dad bought for you during your last aquarium visit together (and you're extremely proud of coming up with that name), so it means a great deal to you. You lost Mr. Flippy at the playground a few days ago, and you've decided to come back every day until you found it, though it seems that someone else has already accomplished that for you.

"No problem," the boy replies, averting his gaze. You immediately begin to bombard him with questions. At first, he's taken aback, but he soon eases up and answers most of your inquiries.

You just moved into this neighborhood, so finding a friend was on the top of your agenda—and he's the perfect candidate. You learn that his name is Atsumu, and he's apparently interested in volleyball.

"Hey, who's that, 'Tsumu?"

A second Atsumu peeks his head out from behind a nearby cherry blossom tree, and you gasp. He waltzes over to you two, and you do a double take.

"I dunno. She just moved here."

Although wary and a bit frightened, you introduce yourself to the clone. You come to discover that he's in fact not another Atsumu but his identical twin brother. You sigh in relief. The gentle breeze brushes against your pigtails, and your eyes light up at the thought of having two new friends. Osamu glances at the doll tucked underneath your arm, then at Atsumu.

"Isn't that the same one you bought?" Osamu asks his brother, which causes Atsumu to flinch. Before you can fully process the situation, Osamu shakes his head and looks at you with an apologetic expression. He admits, "My brother probably stole your dolphin plush."

Stammering, Atsumu tries to defend himself, "That's not true! I just found it lyin' around here last week."

He huffs and glares at Osamu. Frustrated, Atsumu kicks the wood chips beneath him, and you gnaw the inside of your cheek at the newfound awkwardness between the three of you. You hesitate before holding out your arms and offering your dolphin plush to Atsumu.

"We can share Mr. Flippy if you'd like to," you suggest, "but in return, please be my friend!"

You turn your head to Osamu and add, "You too, please! The more, the merrier."

The Miya brothers exchange incredulous looks at each other. Osamu shrugs, and Atsumu's dampened mood slowly dissipates as he laughs. You feel butterflies billowing in your stomach.

"Sounds like a decent deal to me. Let's be friends!" Atsumu declares, nudging his twin. Osamu scratches the back of his neck and continues to stay quiet, much to the dismay of his brother. The two seem ready to bicker, but you intercede.

"Promise?" you ask. With a toothy grin, you extend your hands out at the boys, pinkies raised. They reciprocate your gesture and wrap their fingers around yours.

"Promise."

VYING FOR YOU━ A SHORT STORY IN WHICH ATSUMU AND OSAMU MIYA BOTH FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU, THEIR CHILDHOOD BEST FRIEND

VYING FOR YOU
A SHORT STORY IN WHICH ATSUMU AND OSAMU MIYA BOTH FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU, THEIR CHILDHOOD BEST FRIEND.