Her eyes fluttered closed for a second and She drew in a deep breath, trying to calm herself before speaking.

“Sir,” she turned to Bradford, her tone calm but unmistakably firm. “I don’t know what you may have heard, but to answer your question; yes, we do have a relationship.”

Ryan could feel his jaw drop in shock. He sat forward, every muscle tense as he waited for her next words. Was she actually going to admit they had more than just a working relationship?

“A professional relationship built on friendship. Working together these past few months, we quickly came to realize that in order to achieve our goals for the department, we had to put aside our differences and work together. And just as you mentioned earlier, the results have been positive.”

She finished speaking and settled back against the seat with regal calmness.

Christ! Sam was spectacular. Ryan watched her, a mixture of pride and lust crashing through him. He wanted to gather her in his arms and spirit her away somewhere private where he could take his time worshipping the wonder that she was without interference.

At that moment, he was hit with another realization. One that stole the living breath from him and left him stunned.

He was in love with this amazing woman.

“I see,” Bradford’s voice interrupted the flow of his thoughts. He tore his gaze from Sam to his father, meeting ice blue eyes that still held anger. “Thank you for explaining it so reasonably, Sam.”

Ryan didn’t miss the hidden meaning behind the words, but at the moment his mind was too preoccupied by the revelation to bother taking offence.

“No problem.” Sam replied, and he could see some of the tension leave her body. “Will there be anything else?”

“No,” Bradford nodded a dismissal. “Like I said at the meeting, you’ll manage the Projects department until Ryan gets back. We will discuss new assignments for the both of you when that happens.”

“Understood.” Sam rose to take her leave.

Ryan stayed put. He wanted to leave, to talk about what had just happened with Sam, but something about the old man’s last words kept him seated. He saw the look of confusion on Sam’s face as she realized he was still seated and for a moment she hesitated, clearly debating whether to inquire or simply walk away.

She chose the latter, her expression shuttered as she spun away and left the office in quick strides.

Ryan waited until he heard the click of the door sliding shut before he leaned forward, eyes intent on his father who’d busied himself on his computer.

“You already knew about us.” The words were not a question but a mere statement of fact. “All that rumour talk was just bullshit, wasn’t it?”

“Did you really think I wouldn’t find out the minute you started fucking the hired help?” Bradford chuckled and shook his head, eyes flashing mockery. “How naive of you, son”

The derision in Bradford’s words sent his temper soaring.

“The fuck did you just call her?” Ryan was half out his seat with the intent to make the old man eat his words before he checked himself. Inflicting bodily harm would do no good.