Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six:

Hakuna Matata
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Fallon's eyes fluttered shut, a contented sigh leaving her lips as the end of summer breeze blew through her hair. The chatter of her friends, now including Sarah Cameron, filled her ears. The salty air from the ocean overwhelmed her senses. Not that she minded, of course. The smell of the sea came close to being her favorite thing. 

JJ watched her, his lip pulled in between his teeth as his heart beat against his chest, echoing in his ears. The voices of John B and Pope faded away, becoming muffled and distant as he tuned out of the conversation. His mind began to wander as his eyes trailed over her body, and his breath caught in his throat. His cheeks flushed and his hands became clammy as he anxiously wiped them on his shorts in an attempt to distract himself from his wandering mind and drifting eyes.

 Sarah shared a look with Pope, subtly pointing her eyes towards JJ, asking a silent question. Pope nodded, mimicking puppy eyes. Sarah bit her lip to hold in her laugh as she looked away.

"You got the rope?" John B asked, looking over at Pope through the rearview mirror. Fallon blinked, her eyes opening as she lazily leaned on Kie's shoulder. Kie's hand rested on her knee, drawing circles as she yawned. 

"Got the rope." Pope confirmed, his lips quirking up in a small smile as he looked away from Kie and Fallon.

"Grappling hook?"

"No grappling hook. We're not batman."

"I was-" Fallon broke in, straightening her back as she became more interested in the conversation. JJ was pulled from his trance, blink rapidly to refamiliarize himself with his surroundings.

"That was Halloween in sixth grade, Fal." JJ laughed, rolling his eyes teasingly at the memory. 

"Yeah, you're not actually Batman." Pope pointed out. "It was Halloween."

"Yeah, but I still got you to go as Robin!" Fallon giggled, covering her mouth with her hand to prevent more laughter from toppling out of her lips. Raising the hand that previously rested in her laugh, she pointed at him. JJ's mouth fell agape as a look of mock betrayal came across his face.

"Oh, my God!" Sarah gasped, her hand flying to cover her mouth as she bit back a laugh. "Please tell me you have pictures! This I have to see!"

Kie fished her phone out of her pocket, motioning for Sarah to sit beside her to show her the pictures that she'd insisted that she deleted. Clearly, she hadn't.

JJ's cheeks flushed red from embarrassment as Sarah and Kie began to giggle to themselves . "Hey, now! There was definitely some black mail!"

"Nuh-uh!" Fallon raised her head from Kie's shoulder, waving her finger at him. "You willingly looked like a dork that night."

"Did not!" JJ's voice raised in pitch, faking shock as he rose his hand to his chest. "It was not willing!"

"Did too." Fallon smirked, her eyes glimmering with mischief. "You agreed with, like, no begging from me."

"Did not!" JJ's eyes narrowed, crossing his arms. Fallon's eyes glimmered as she laughed wholeheartedly, her hair blowing into her face. JJ couldn't help but gawk at her as she raised her hand to brush the hair away. 

"Did too." Fallon quirked an eyebrow, resting her arms on her crossed legs and leaning forward.

John B rolled his eyes as Fallon and JJ continued to argue back and forth. "Guys, come on-""