Chapter 14: Circus in London

They finally reached London and the penguins looked through the binoculars for the promoter.

“Come on, come on, come on. Where is he?” Skipper asked, spotted him, then exclaimed, “Bingo!”

He was dressed in a tux that was patriotic, a huge patriotic hat, and had a bird that fed him popcorn.

“If that's not a red-blooded American promoter, I don't know what is. We need to get this show on the road,” Skipper commented then told Private, “Private! Tell them the eagle has landed.”

“The eagle has landed!” Private said in the walkie talkie.

“Roger that. And keep an eye out for Dubois,” Alex replied on the other end.

“Aye, aye, guvnor!” Private nodded.

“The promoter is in the house!” Alex announced.

“New York is closer than ever!” Marty said.

“Let's not get ahead of ourselves. First, we got a circus to do,” Alex reminded then told the others, “We're on, folks!”

“Do we go on before or after the dogs?” one of the horses asked.

“Yes,” Alex nodded.

“What?” all three horses questioned.

“Overlap, your acts overlap,” Alex clarified then wondered, “Where's Vitaly? He opens.”

“I don't know,” another horse shrugged.

He then spotted Y/N coming his way.

“Hey, Y/N. Have you seen Vitaly?” Alex asked.

“No, I haven’t,” Y/N shook her head, getting a little worried.

They then heard sniffling and saw Stefano’s shadow on the changing divider, so they went to him.

“Stefano! Hey, Stefano!” Alex called.

“Have you seen Vitaly?” Y/N asked.

They went through the divider to see Stefano in tears.

“Hey. Stefano, why the sad little face?” Alex asked.

“Vitaly...he will not go on!” Stefano answered.

“What?” the siblings remarked.

“I tried everything I could,” Stefano said, crying more and lowering his head.

“Wipe away the tears. Calm down,” Alex shushed, lifting Stefano’s chin up.

“Where is he? I'm sure I can reason with him,” Y/N said.

“You sure?” he wondered.

“Yeah. He’ll listen to me,” she nodded.

Y/N then went to Vitaly’s train car and found him packing his stuff. She saw one of his knives by the door. She got it and threw it to the wall Vitaly was facing. He turned around to see her.

“V, what are you doing?” Y/N asked.

“You missed,” Vitaly remarked before turning back to packing.

“You're leaving? You can’t. The others are counting on you,” she said.

“They have good show without me,” he told her.

“Look, I got a good left foot, but without my right foot, I can't walk,” Y/N pointed out.

“You get fake foot, then you walk,” Vitaly made a quick comeback.

“I don't want fake foot! Okay?” she said in frustration then replied, “And that’s not the point. What happened to ‘circus stick together’? ‘The show must go on’?”

“Cliches,” he said.

“Come on, V. Stop being this guy! Be the other guy!” Y/N told him, taking his spoon.

“What other guy?” Vitaly remarked, taking the spoon back.

“The guy who was all circus! The guy who jumped through hoops!” she answered, taking his bowl.

“Give me that!” he demanded, taking it back.

“The guy everybody looked up to,” Y/N pressed on, grabbing a ball of yarn.

Then it slipped, making them play with it, until he won and put it in his suitcase.

“Come on. Where's that Vitaly?” Y/N wondered.

“That Vitaly is no more,” Vitaly answered sadly.

“I don’t believe that. You may have given up on yourself, but your friends haven't given up on you. I haven’t either. Are you just going to turn your back on them, and sit and eat borscht the rest of your life? Or are you gonna get out there and jump through that tiny little hoop?” she asked.

“It is impossible,” he sighed.

“It was always impossible, Vitaly. That's why the people loved it,” Y/N pointed out.

She started to walk to the door in defeat.

“That is why I loved it. Because I did the impossible!” Vitaly said, making her turn around, then he continued with a laugh, “I was once a brave tiger. And if l go down in flames...so be it!”

“You know, I think I might have an idea for you. And I’m sure Alex won’t mind,” she smirked.

“Okay. And are you sure you still want to do it with me?” he asked.

“Yes. I am. Why do you ask?” Y/N wondered.

“I just...don't want you to get hurt. What if I go down in flames again and...?” Vitaly started.

“You won't. Trust me. And I trust you with my life. So don't worry about it,” she assured, taking his paw.

They hugged, knowing this was going to be crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N You talked Vitaly into doing the stunt! Nice!