The High Prince

Începe de la început

Most of the staff were outside or in the kitchens, so Cilver ran though the halls and down the side staircase he often used as a shortcut, jumping down several steps at a time. It was hard to quell his excitement; after all, he hadn't seen his betrothed in seven years. After thirteen years of engagement, this would finally be the year he would be married. The Prince was incredibly nervous, neck becoming warmer with each thought. He and the Princess had kept in touch with the occasional letter, but he had no idea what she looked like or how she acted apart from the proper spiel practically required by all nobility.

The harbor was a mile from the castle doors, down the winding cliffs and past the village. When Cilver came into view of his people, he slowed down, chin up, as a Prince should. He smiled at each person he passed along the path to the village, waving and curtly bowing. Near the base of the cliff, there was a stable built right into the stone. All of the doors and stalls were opened, for the horses were allowed to roam and graze. They never went far and many were being used to bring guests in carriages.

Cilver let out a long whistle.

A white mare galloped up the path from the grazing field that overlooked the sea. She stopped and nickered, nuzzling at the Prince for treats. Cilver laughed and stroked the horse's neck, fingers grazing over the silver threads woven into her mane. All of the horses had been groomed thoroughly for the celebration, including Cilver's own personal steed, Una. The mare turned from her master when she saw he had nothing for her, but Cilver jumped, swinging a leg over her broad back and planting himself firmly atop her.

With another pat on the neck, Cilver ushered Una forward, back down the descending path.

“Along girl. The Princess is waiting,” he whispered into her flicking ear with a grin.

He leaned forward and pressed his legs tightly to the mare's sides, giving her permission to gallop. Steering with only his feet, Cilver raced his way through the village, shouting apologies to the people he startled. Una deftly wove through the villagers, needing little direction. The edge of the village homes quickly approached and soon they were in the wildflower fields. There was only one road from here that led to the harbor, so Cilver loosened his legs' grip on Una and let her take complete control. Within minutes' time, the docks were in clear view as well as several carriages to transport guests to their temporary dwellings.

Cilver leaned back and Una slowed into an even trot. One carriage was making its way back to the village. Una nickered at the passing horses, causing them to shake their heads with a happy reply. The carriage driver smiled and waved. Cilver returned the gesture, but was distracted by the flags waving from the ships planted among the docks. There were cliffs surrounding all of Adrastea except where two miles stretched in shoreline, so the only way to reach the High Kingdom was by sea. In preparation for celebrations such as this one, there were dozens of docks in the harbor for every land known to man or beast. The new arrivals were further down the shore. Scanning the waving flags upon the masts, Cilver spotted the design sporting a giant golden dragon against an emerald backdrop.

His hands were shaking now. Penpotia was high in the mountains where the remaining dragons made their home. It was a very long journey to Adrastea from Penpotia; two weeks, at least. Shipbuilding was not the Kingom's forte, but the one they used was glamorous. It was of new make, still shining with newly polished wood and sails that seemed to match the sunlight.

At the dock, Cilver dismounted and handed Una a small treat of mint from his pocket. Trying to ignore the butterflies in his stomach, he strode to where the ship was making port. A man stood by a large pile of thick rope, shouting directions at other dock workers. When he saw Cilver, he smiled and walked over to give the Prince a tight embrace. He was at least three inches taller than the Prince with bright red hair and tanned skin. His clothes and brow were damp from sweat.