Chapter 7: The Message of Death

"Gah! Someone died! There has been a murder!" a loud piercing scream was heard. Indie bolted upwards when she heard it. She pulled open her window to see an entire crowd jostling nearby to the Tavern. 

'Murder? Here-? Don't tell Reaper-X found another victim! Or could he be threatening me? It could be Jason too...' Indie gasped to herself, as she stared down from the fourth story building. 

The crackling fireplace flickered slowly. 

Murder. There was an empty void in her chest. Any moment, that person on the streets could be like her. She would die too. She bit her lips in panic. 

"Indie! Are you inside!?" Martha's voice was heard outside the door. Indie rushed and opened the door in a whim. 

"Auntie Martha!" 

"Did you hear the commotion?" Martha said, her face looked flushed, the middle-aged woman seemed panicked. "M-murder..." she mumbled in fear. 

"Calm down!" Indie patted Martha, who was on the verge of freaking out. But why? Is there also a Church Spy out here? Or could it be a red-hearing? 

"Martha!" a next-door friendly neighbor rushed to support the middle-aged woman who had fainted while informing me. "What happened?" 

Before Indie knew it, she grabbed a coat and ran outside to look at the commotion. Her boots plunged through the thick snow, making it hard for her to walk. She walked further through away into a alleyway, where a crowd of fifty people were gathered. 

"W-what happened?" Indie asked. A woman next to her answered: 

"Apparently there has been some sort of murder..." 

"..." 

"Somebody quick! Get the medic!" 

"The victim's name was Alfred Gordon, the poor man has a disabled wife, and two children. Gordon lived in this town for seven years... disappointing."

"Who murdered him?" 

"He seemed to have been stabbed to death." 

Murmurs went through the crowd. Indie's chest felt hollow and her heart rate went up and down. Why? She asked herself. Who? Are they threatening her? Indie? But the victim had nothing to do with her. Was he also a Church Supporter or is he someone else? 

Was Reaper the one to murder him? 

Why? 

Someone tapped on her shoulders, Indie flinched and squeamed slightly to see an Angelic face in the crowd. 

"S-sir Aven? You? What are you doing here?"

"It's the obvious reason why you are here, Miss Indie."  

Indie felt dumbfounded while staring at his catlike yellow hawk eyes. Her mouth formed an 'O' shape as if she just realized his reason. Aven chuckled softly and asked: 

"Are you trying to get in through the crowd?" 

"Yes," 

"Aren't you afraid of his dead body?" 

"Sir Aven, the victim is a human. Why would I be scared?" 

"Hmmm... I guess some souls are fearless,"

"We met too quickly again." 

"Ah right! It feels as if we met years ago!" 

"..." Indie was sure she meant 'QUICKLY' as in quickly. But nevermind that, Sir Aven's angelic and heavenly male god face made all her worries disappate.