Chapter Fourty-Five

[Katy]

As I tugged the last one of Sammie's bags into the trunk of Louis' car, a feeling of sadness washed over my body. That awful feeling returned into my stomach. The same feeling I get each time I have to say goodbye to her for three months at a time whilst she is at college, and the same feeling I got when she was growing up and I had to leave her to go back to LA.

I swallowed those feelings away. She was being successful in her life and I couldn't possibly ask for more from her. I couldn't be more proud of her.

It felt incredible to see something that I had created turn into such a beautiful, intelligent young woman. One day, she would be saying the exact same about her children; my grandchildren.

"You got your charger?" I ask the blonde haired eighteen year old that walks out of the house with a pair of black Raybans shading her eyes.

Her hand bangs against the material of her handbag, "in here."

"Laptop?" I raise my eyebrows with a small smirk, knowing that nine times out of ten she's called me to say she's forgot something. And that something is normally her laptop.

She looks at me over the lenses of her glasses, her lips curling into one of her cocky smiles. "Already in the car, mother. Don't underestimate me."

"It's not called 'underestimating' you, Sammie. It's called 'knowing you like the back of my hand'."

And to that comment, I can tell she rolls her eyes, despite the fact I can't actually see them through the thick black lenses.

I swallow that feeling once again when I close the trunk shut. Everything was packed and ready to go and she was leaving. Her bedroom would be empty and cold for the next few months and the house wouldn't be filled with her presence and beautiful smile.

That was the hardest thing about it. The small things are the things I miss. Things like hearing the sound of her hair dryer coming from her bedroom every morning when I wake up, or hearing the sound of her softly singing as she makes herself a morning cup of tea. It's not so much seeing her around the house, but even just being able to hear her and know what she's doing, and she's in my care and safe, is what puts my mind at rest.

"See you soon, my girl," Oliver tells Sammie as he hugs her close to him. She mutters a few words to him which aren't loud enough for me to hear, but Oliver chuckles, leaving a gentle kiss on her temple.

I turn my head to Louis, who stands a meter or two away from me, watching the same sight I was. Whilst Sammie says her fair wells to Oliver and Lucas, I step towards Louis, nudging him with my elbow.

"Keep your eye on her for me, won't you?"

His face breaks out into a smile as he nods, but he knows that as much as I'm sounding as if I'm playing, I'm actually serious. In my heart I need to know that she isn't on her own. "Of course, Katy." Louis assures me, his voice full of certainty.

"She hasn't had a straightforward life. It's been so complicated and at times extremely difficult for her." I look at Louis with one eye squinted from the sun, holding my hand over the top of both of my eyes to shield it away. "You're good for her. You make her happy and you bring out a side in her that I haven't seen her have with anyone before. She loves you. A lot." I quickly glance at Sammie, who now had a sniffling Luke held tightly to her chest, his blonde hair messed up from hugging her so much. I can hear the tiny heart breaking sobs escaping my son's lips, whilst his hands clutch tightly to Sammie's shirt, pleading with her not to go.  

My eyes return back to Louis. "Thank you for being there for my daughter, Louis. I can't explain how greatful I am. Me and Oliver are always here for you if ever you need anything at all. You're family to us now."