Chapter Nine

I spin around in frustration, instantly being blinded by the sun and its rays that are still shinning down over California. I quickly narrow my eyes in order to see, and when I do, when my vision becomes clear, I see a figure stood in the distance. That's when I realized how far away from the cafe I had actually paced when I was on the phone.

I walked towards the figure, my hand shielding my eyes from the light, until I was able to see Louis stood before me. His hands are pushed into his back pockets and he looks at me expressionless, almost like he's trying to read my face. He has definitely picked up on my stress.

"Everything okay?" He asks me as his eyes scan my face.

I just nod, but it's pointless because he knows I'm lying. I keep going over that conversation on the phone in my head. How could she just forget like that?

I don't say anything to Lou, instead I just do my best to give him a smile and walk back through the doors and into the cafe. Both the heads of Dan and Jessa are watching me as I approach the table, completely oblivious to what's going on, though I'm sure Louis suspects something.

I sit down at the table, taking my bag off of the seat and dropping it down in between my legs. I push in my chair, feeling the table in front of me come into contact with my ribs. I look up, noticing Louis watching me carefully as the others are flicking through the menu.

"What?" I ask, my voice a little snappy, but it wasn't intended.

I felt slightly guilty when his eyes softened like he was upset by the harshness of my voice. I try to lighten up the mood a little, by tilting my head to the side and letting a smile creep its way onto my lips.

He smiles back, "I'll talk to you later." Then he drops his menu at the sight of the waitress making her way over to our table.

She holds a notebook and pen in her hands, a white pini tied around her waist and a name badge that read 'Alex', to which I smile. Her red hair is tied up in a neat bun, and she smiles, "Are you ready to order?"

We all look at one another, nodding our heads. Jessa goes first, ordering a bacon, egg and sausage balm with onions and tomato sauce. Dan ordered the beef platter and Louis ordered the full English.

The waitress then looked at me questioningly, waiting to write down my order.

"Make that two full English please," I tell her politely.

"No tomatoes on mine,"

I gasp, looking over at Louis who is looking straight back looking quite amused. We had both asked for no tomatoes at the exact same time. In sync.

"I told you we were similar."

I just smirk at his comment, and for a second, the previous conversation I had with my mom just leaves my mind. It seems he was able to have that effect on me. It doesn't last long though, and soon that upset returns. I just sit there, quietly waiting for my food to come.

My phone sits in front of me on the table, a vibration indicating that I had received a text. It's about twenty seconds after that, that my phone begins constantly vibrating and my screen flashes 'Mom Calling'. I look at it, debating with myself in my head whether or not I should answer or leave it.

"Aren't you going to take that?" Dan asks me, making me look up from my phone to realise they are all looking at me. I notice that Jessa's eyes are flicking from my phone to me, questioning quietly why I'm not answering to my own mother.

It stops. Everything's quiet. And I just slouch slightly in my seat, looking at the pictures of food on the menu to distract me.

We spend the next fourty-five minutes or so eating the food we had ordered. I'm thankful for these three people around me at the minute that are taking my mind of things.