Mother's Day Special

[Please Note- This is a Mother's Day Special Chapter. This chapter is not a continuation from chapter 59, but will be set in the point of view of Katy and will take you on a journey through some of Katy's past memories. Enjoy.]

I didn't really feel too great when I woke up that morning, so I remember. A pounding headache was one thing, but the throat burning desire for a glass of water was another. I remember the way my hair stuck to the sweat on the back of my neck, and how my fingers dug deep into the sheets of my bed as I awaited each hit against my skull from the horrendous migraine that was slowly appearing.

The energy I had in my body was far too low for me to have lifted up my head and check for the time, so I continued to lay there, inhaling the scent of alcohol and cigarettes that was still stuck to my skin and the sheets on my bed, feeling sorry for myself in the process. My face was pressed deep into the pillow, making it that bit harder for me to get oxygen into my system, but it wasn't like I cared.

I remember laying there for what felt like hours on end, not even moving my body an inch. Instead, just listening to the sound of the rain as it pounded against the small single pained window towards the left of the room, wondering just how long it would be before that glass completely collapsed on me; listening to the thunder as it tore through the sky of Los Angeles. I remember quite clearly how dreadful the weather was that morning in LA, because I remembered that as I lay with my face in my pillow, I questioned whether or not Santa Barbara would be the same. Also taunting my mind, again, that I had made a wrong decision.

I finally gave in to my banging head and dragged my half asleep; half awake body out of the pit I called my bed. I didn't need to look in the mirror that hung on the bricked walls of my bedroom in order to tell me just how unattractive I looked. The fact I could still feel the built up oil on my face from the day before's make up, and the knots in my hair were big enough for me to see all the pieces of hair intertwined with one another - that was enough for me to realize how awful I must have looked. And by the taste of alcohol that was at that point still present in my mouth and the thick scent of cigarette smoke that followed my every step, I didn't smell too great either.

I wasn't quite sure if it was the alcohol still in my system that allowed me not to care, or maybe the fact that I just didn't quite give two fucks, but I threw on a black jacket that was mixed up in a pile of unwashed clothes on my floor, zipped it up to the top, pulled up my hood and left my apartment looking like something you would find in a trash can.

I was on the third floor up in the block of apartments. Three floors up. 84 steps up. I know exactly what you're thinking. Surely she didn't count the steps, right? Wrong. I must have counted those steps hundreds of times over the five months that I lived there. I mean, at this point I had only lived in the apartment for around four or five weeks and already had done more math than what I did at school.

I pushed my hands deep into my jacket pockets as I stepped out into the pouring rain, feeling the warm droplets of salty water fall down heavily onto my jacket, seep into the waterproof material and drench my skin entirely. I had only been outside for roughly fifteen seconds, and already my hair had stuck to the sides of my face, with water droplets falling from the tip of my chin. One of the good things about Cali though, is that even when it rains it's still pretty warm and humid outside, so it wasn't like I was freezing to death as I jogged from my apartment to the small coffee shop on the corner of the block.

My hand was clasped around my vibrating phone in my pocket. It was only then, as I stepped through the doors of the coffee shop, that I realized the only thing in my jacket pockets was in fact my phone. I pictured it in my mind, the sight of my purse sitting on my bedside table. I groaned heavily in annoyance, wondering to myself why luck just wasn't on my side recently.