Chapter Fifty-Six

“Hey,” I hear from behind me, before a warm pair of hands rest on my hips.

The metal spoon that I hold between my fingers drops into the coffee cup, splashing tiny droplets of hot water onto my skin. I immediately pull my hand away, my body sinking into Oliver’s.

“I was quite disappointed when I woke up to you not there.” He pulls back the hair that falls loosely at my sides and lightly kisses my neck. “Why are you even awake? It’s six-thirty in the morning.”  

Both of my hands slide down Oliver’s arms, that have now wrapped themselves around my torso from behind, until my hands sit softly on top of his. His skin is so warm that it makes me sink myself even more into him until I am completely comfortable and locked in his strong arms. The warmth of his breath on my neck as he exhales also feels incredible.

“I don’t know. I just woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep.” I admit, to which I hear the slight sigh come from Ol. “Drinking a coffee at this time probably won’t do me much good either.”

I feel him gently shake as he chuckles, “probably not.”

I rest my head back so that it falls into the crook of his neck, my eyes closing in the process, and I feel him tighten his lock on my body. Everything was extremely quiet. Yet, even though none of us spoke, our thoughts were so loud. I knew exactly what he was thinking about. As much as the pair of us wanted to be strong for one another, and for our family, we knew the reality and I knew it was tearing him apart inside.

“You need to get some sleep,” he whispers. “Come on, let’s go back to bed while we can. Luke will be up in a couple of hours.”

Linking my hand with his, I follow him through the house, walking slowly and being as quiet as we possibly could, until the pair of us were back in our bedroom. Oliver switched on the small lamp that sat beside our bed so the pair of us were able to see one another again. I lightly giggle to myself at the way his hair had messed up as he’d been sleeping. He wears just a dark pair of pyjama trousers, a small strip of his Calvin Klein underwear visible and his top half completely bare.

I just watch as he climbs into our bed, sorting the pillows out to fit his comfort. I must have been stood there for around two minutes, just watching, when I felt his eyes burn into my skin. They meet my own and we just look at one another. The lamp only just manages to highlight one half of his face, but it’s enough to allow his green eyes to glisten back at me with a look of plead. I think he was pleading with me to go to him, so I did.

I pulled back the covers and slid myself into the bed beside him. His hand instantly touches the bare skin of my leg, just below my silk pyjama shorts. My eyes immediately look to him; he’s already looking back. I can’t help but allow my eyes to wander elsewhere, to the lines in his chest, the muscles that stood out so prominently. His whole body is so beautiful that it’s hard to believe I’m the only person in the world allowed to touch it the way I do. I’m the only person allowed to kiss his chest at night and run my hands along his torso. I’m the only person who he looks at in a way that makes me fall in love every single time. It’s so hard to believe. What makes me so special that he choses me over every other girl in the world?

I used to ask myself that exact question when we were teenagers. When I would see the other girls trying hard for his attention, yet it was me he held hands with in his car and told he loved every single day. It was me he waited for outside my classroom at the end of a lesson just so he could spend that two minutes with me whilst he walked me to my next one. It wasn’t a typical high school you see in all the movies where there’s popular kids and then the other kids that get picked on by the popular kids. No. It was more just that our grade split itself up into different groups of people that were all similar in certain ways. It wasn’t often that the groups mixed. My group of friends was more of a smaller group of friends, and I suppose it shocked a lot of people when the black haired girl, who played the guitar and sung around school, started dating the basketball player with the blonde hair and the piercing green eyes soon to be made Captain.