Safety at last (part 12)

Lilly's POV:

The first thing that came back to me was my hearing. I could feel that I was still gagging and I could feel spit or maybe blood, drooling down my chin. But I couldn't see anything, it was just swirling black. I could feel someone's hands on me but I was so exhausted I didn't have any energy to try to move away. I could feel some sort of pressure on my throat, like a cloth maybe. All I could hear was ragged breathing and groaning of pain from whoever was holding me. It was definitely a male voice, but without my sight I had no idea who it was. "Alli? Are you here?" I waited for a response but after maybe twenty seconds of waiting nothing came. I let out a strangled groan and I felt my whole body stiffen at the shuddering pain that went through my throat and chest.

"Lilly? Are you ok? Jesus, please tell me you are." Who was that? I knew his voice, I know I do. I forced myself to open my eyes but once again just saw swirling black spots mixed with small dashes of color. I squirmed slightly when I felt whoever it was move me so I was laying on my back in his lap. I took a soft breath and curled my fingers around his leg where they had been laying limply. "Oh thank god. Oh thank god! Jesus you scared the fuck out of me Lilly."

After a few more seconds of desperate and pained blinking my vision cleared enough for me to see who it actually was. When he saw my eyes focus he gave a weak grin. "You look like hell." I forced a laugh out and regretted it almost immediately when it sent stabbing pains in my chest. He also looked like hell. His hair was sticky and damp from sweat, sticking up in wild directions. He had blood smeared on his face, I assume it was from him wiping his face with his bloody hands. A gash on his side was the most alarming thing and I did my best to show my worry.

"What, are you ok?" My whole body was starting to ache more and more and I resisted falling back asleep. It would be much nicer. I glanced at his wound quickly and that seemed to be enough for him to catch on. "Oh, this ol thing? You don't have to worry. I got caught on a rock or something I think, just regular fighting things. It's not life threatening, I promise. I'll get stitches when we get home." He grinned brightly and patted his chest gently in triumph. "I beat up that nasty wolf for hurting you, you'll always be my pack member."

Bitter tears stung my eyes at the mention of being a pack member. Reliving those memories all over again... seeing my dad... it all felt so fake. But I knew it wasn't, I knew that those were my own memories. I had experienced them after all. He just wanted to be a member of a pack, but he went about it all wrong. A wave of nausea hit me and a desperate sputtering noise left me as I used whatever strength I had to push myself onto my side and over his leg. I realized it was his shirt that was pressed against my neck when it fell onto the ground. Bright red blood marred the soft yellow of his shirt in thick rings. A horrifying mixture of stomach acid, my 'feast' from earlier, and blood hit the ground. I could hear Carter wince and then I felt his hand moving in slow jerky circles on my back. My throat burned from the acid and my mouth tasted so strongly of blood it was like I had taken a bite straight out of raw meat.

My head pounded with the beating of my heart and my hearing was fading in and out. I focused on trying to breathe but I could feel myself trembling again and more blood was dripping down my neck and down my shirt. Whatever adrenaline I had coursing through my body earlier was rapidly fading, and that meant the pain was free to finally start coming through. Everything hurt. Especially my head and throat. My throat stung and I could feel the punctures and slight tearing where I had fallen from their mouth and their teeth ripped my skin. Carter was saying something but my hearing was reduced to sharp ringing and the sound of my own heartbeat. Then in what seemed to be typical for the past day, my vision started to blot out, and I was left in the dark once again.

Willows POV:

I kept Carter on the phone for as long as possible but after running and not hearing much except for groaning about his side we decided to hang out. Alex kept shooting me worried glances but if I stopped to think about the situation as a whole I don't think I'd be able to keep being a person. I think I'd just crumble. The first aid kit kept clicking, like something was fully loose in it but I kept focused on that until we started slowing down on the path to the actual clearing. Fear bit at my fingertips and up my arms. The smell of blood was so clear a human would probably be able to smell it. I hurried into the clearing with Alex close behind me. Carter was hunched over a small mess of cloth and hair and my heart sank when I realized it was Lilly. He did have a pretty sizable gash on his side, dad would have to bring him in to the hospital when we got back.