Everything is fine (part 11)

Willows POV:

After crying and feeling sorry for myself I managed to drag myself from my bed to get ready to do my homework. I didn't have much, just an easy history worksheet. Junior year was surprisingly harder than any other grade I'd been in so far, but history still remained notoriously easy. I shuffled over to the desk and rubbed at my now sore eyes before I finally grabbed the pencil and actually got to work.

After maybe twenty minutes of work my door burst open with a loud bang. I nearly jumped out of my skin and turned around, ready to beat the ever loving Christ out of whoever decided to open my door like that. In front of me stood a happy looking Carter. I let out a low sigh and dragged my hands down my face as he grinned at me happily.

"Carter. Why did you open my door like that."

"It's my dramatic entrance. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'm about to go out on patrol! If you wanna come you can, otherwise can you let Jason know? I think he's at the store getting monthly supplies or something."

I scrunched my face up at the mention of my dad and Carter laughed quietly. "Yeah sure, no problem. Can you keep an eye out for Lilly? She's not home yet and dad says there's a couple of fulls out."

"Damn, really? What're the chances there's multiple?" I shrugged and turned around to keep writing about why some people do in fact deserve rights.

"I don't know, I don't even know if there are any. You know how rumors spread, someone might've just seen a feral wolf and mistaken it. Anyway, just make sure you keep your nose out for her, please? Also if you're running into town at the end of your shift you should get candy."

"Ahh I see why you talk with me, miss ulterior motives." He laughed at his own joke while I resisted the urge to smile and instead fixed him with my best annoyed expression. "Alright alright, candy it is. I'll run in after I'm done patrolling if you make sure to save some food for me, some of the wolves in here have a never ending appetite. I'll try to find Lilly too, she deserves some food."

Kita popped up in my head to chime in with agreement and I rolled my eyes. She had been silent for most of the day, probably sleeping. Most wolves weren't present constantly, they had to rest too. "Thanks dude, stay safe out there, ok?"

Carter grinned and waved before slipping out of my room much quieter than he entered. I let out a low groan and instead of working on my history I just laid my head against the cool wood of the desk.

"Is Lilly ok? Is Alli ok?" Kita questioned. Her voice was drowsy and I couldn't help but feel jealous.

"I'm sure she's fine. I didn't go after her after school because I figured I freaked her out enough at lunch. She's like a fawn, we can't scare her off Kita."

"Mm, no fun in that. Alli probably isn't a fawn. I could chase Alli."

"You could chase Alli if she could ever come out. Lilly can't shift, you know that."

Kita let out a scoff that almost hurt my ears and I grunted softly. "She's good and pretty, should teach her how to shift. She probably just does not know how."

"Kita every shifter knows how to shift. We just... do. You know that. Also she's tried before, she gets training too you know. Most of it is so stressful for her because dad tries to force Alli out but it just doesn't work."

Kita let out another scoff but sighed. "I know. I miss her. I wish I could meet Alli. She'd be very wonderful I bet. Anyway, get your stupid homework done. I'm going back to bed."

Before I could reply she was gone and I groaned as loud as I could without having someone check on me to make sure I wasn't dying. I slammed my head against the desk and recoiled at the sharp pain before I rubbed at it feverishly. Dumbass. I sighed and picked up the pencil again to continue my writing.

I had just finished my paper and was sliding it in my bag when my phone started ringing on my desk. I winced at the loud noise and scrambled to pick it up before it pissed the other people in the house off. Most slept during the day so they could run around at night and do patrols or even just regular training and fighting. I nearly dropped my phone but finally managed to swipe it open to answer the call. I put the phone to my ear and squinted in confusion at the heavy panting coming from it.

"Uh... hello?"

"Willow?! That's you right?"

"Yeah, who is this?" I pulled the phone away and I frowned when I read the name. "Carter? Hey is everything ok?"

"No, no it's not. You need to get out here, she's hurt real bad. I'm hurt too, but not that bad."

Icy fear trickled down my back and I scrambled out of my chair to rush to Alex's room. "Who's hurt Carter? How badly are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine, I got tossed a little bit, probably broke a rib or something. Decent gash on my side but nothing life threatening, just some bandages necessary probably. But it's... it's Lilly, Willow. She's alive but it's bad. Like, really bad." I wanted to freeze. I wanted to crumple up in a ball and sob, but I couldn't. They both needed my help.

I slid into Alex's room where she was clicking around on her laptop.

"Lilly and Carter are hurt, we need to go." I could see her falter before paling. She nodded and grabbed a hoodie before following along with me.

"I'm not going to shift, ok carter? We're just gonna run. Is that safe for us? Alex grab a kit." She nodded and split off as I scrambled out of the door.

"Yeah, yeah it should be safe. There was only one wolf, I didn't recognize their scent. Ran away after I got a couple good bites in. Might've been from Pine, I don't know. Her throat is torn up, but I think it's mostly just from their teeth just grabbing her." He was panting as he spoke and I could hear him drop to the ground and shuffling in the background. "Ok I'm feeling around-" more shuffling. Alex met up with me with a large first aid kit held tightly in her arms. "Ok it feels like the skin is just torn on the edges of her throat, but I think she hit her head pretty hard. Unconscious. A little blood coming from her mouth, might be from a nosebleed draining?" He was rambling and I could practically feel his fear through the screen. My own fear was close to making me freak out myself.

"Ok Carter that's good, that's good. Can you grab her as carefully as possible and put her in your lap and turn her on her side? Just in case she gets sick. Where are you guys?"

"Yeah I think I can do that, we're at the park benches, the ones just outside of town. Disputed territory."

What the hell was she doing over there? "Ok, we'll be there soon. Hang tight Carter, don't die on me, alright?" He chuckled quietly and I smiled weakly at Alex before gesturing that we needed to get going. We both set off at a sprint, our breaths coming in short gasps. I shoved any fears I had of losing Lilly down as far as they could go. I wouldn't lose her, that wasn't fair, I had to believe the universe wasn't that horrible. She'd be fine. Carter would be fine. Everyone would be completely... totally... fine.