Chapter Fourteen

Bucky lays awake in his tent. They are held up for the night, nestled between the trees, hidden away from the world. Bucky rather likes camping away from civilization. Prefers to be away from people that can hurt him. He likes these moments too. When he can think back on the day. Think about Tatiana and the way she fought through the facility they breached. He likes watching Tati fight. Knowing that she can't die, knowing that she'll be alright at the end of it, means that he can appreciate how graceful, and agile, and downright sexy she is when she moves like that. It makes him love her more. And he knows that he does love her. He's known for a long time. Probably since that first moment he saw her in his bed. The skinny, sneaky, thief that stole his banana-nut bread. Bucky glances to his tent door as it opens and Tati slips in, she smirks at him, he raises an eyebrow back at her.

"What are you doing?" He asks her, she shrugs and climbs into his sleeping bag. He wraps an arm around her and lets her curl into his side. He turns his head and smiles a little. He likes nights like this. When Tati is feeling affectionate and climbs into his tent or bed and curls into his side. Things have been better with her. With her fighting, she has come into her own, and Bucky just finds himself falling more and more in love with her. She nuzzles into his neck and lets out a soft breath. She feels safe with him. And he feels safe with her. Something they both need after what they suffered through.

"Sing to me" She whispers in his ear, he chuckles a little.

"I can't sing" He counters, she groans and pokes his side.

"I won't tell anyone" She assures him. He turns his head to hers, his fingers coming up to brush her hair back. She closes her eyes and leans into his hand.

"Alright" he tells her. "Just for you" she smiles and nuzzles into his hand. "Good night sweetheart, till we meet tomorrow" He sings softly to her. "Good night sweetheart, sleep will banish sorrow" She looks at him as he strokes her hair. "Tears and parting may make us forlorn...But with the dawn, a new day is born...Good night sweetheart, tho' I'm not beside you" He leans closer to her and presses his forehead to hers. "Good night sweetheart, still my love will guide you.....Dreams enfold you, in each one I'll hold you...Good night sweetheart, good night" she shifts where she lays next to him till she is straddling him. Bucky looks up at her, eyes softening as she lays against him. She curls upon his chest, his arms around her, her nose pressed to his neck. He sighs softly as he holds her. "Good night sweetheart, till we meet tomorrow" He continues. "Good night sweetheart, sleep will banish sorrow.....Tears and parting may make us forlorn...But with the dawn, a new day is born...Good night sweetheart, tho' I'm not beside you......Good night sweetheart, still my love will guide you.....Dreams enfold you, in each one I'll hold you.....Good night sweetheart, good night" Bucky finishes and reaches up and brushes his tears away, because it hit a little close to home those lyrics. Knowing that all he had when he was away from her was knowing that they had a bond, a connection, that he loved her. "Kitten" he whispers, she hums a little and then presses her finger to his lips to stop him.

"I know" She assures him sadly. He nods and kisses her head.

..........

"I cannot get over how fast she is" Dum Dum comments as he and Bucky watch Tatiana sparing with Steve. A way to keep their enhanced status on point. It's something else to watch. The two of them going punch for punch. Swing for swing. No shield. No claws. Just fighting. Tatiana has a boost on speed over Steve though, and her weight. She's smaller, can move tighter and swifter over him. She pushes off with her hands and handsprings over Steve who snaps his hand out and grabs her ankle, yanking her back down, her back hitting the dirt. She likes sparing with Steve, he's just like her, and she has never fought anyone like her before. It's refreshing. She spins and swipes out his legs. Steve grunts as he hits the dirt. He chuckles and looks at her as she bounces up to her feet. They share a look. Steve likes sparing with her for just the same reasons. Going up against someone like him. Knowing he won't hurt them. He likes that.

........

Bucky approaches where Steve is looking over a map laid out over an all-terrain jeep's hood. Steve more often than not is studying that stupid map and missing out on the bonds of friendship around him. Bucky touches Steve's shoulder.

"Where are we going, Steve?" Bucky asks his friend, Steve sighs and leans up from the map.

"We're joining allied forces in French seas" Steve answers. "We're to join them in storming Omaha beach" Bucky lets out a breath. Whilst he is glad that they'll have backup, he is worried about other people seeing Tatiana as she is when she fights. More people that see her as......unique the higher risk of someone else getting their hands on her. Steve knows this too. But he knows what is at stake. So does Tatiana. And she wants to fight. She will fight. Bucky glances at Tatiana who laughs with Jacques around a small fire. "You really love her, don't you?" Steve asks. Tatiana looks up and across at Bucky having heard him. Bucky smacks Steve's arm and gives him a look. Steve just smirks back at him.