Chapter Nine

Bucky unlocks the cell door and the pulls it open. There is a blur and then he's on his back, Tati kneeling on his chest. Steve's eyes widen in realisation. Bucky blinks slightly as Tati growls. She has her claws ready and pressed to his throat, almost breaking the skin.

"Tati" Bucky pleads with her. She blinks, seemingly returning to her senses as she realises just who it is beneath her. She pulls her claws back from his throat, they retreat back into her nails and she lets out a pained noise from the back of her throat.

"Bucky?" she asks softly.

"Hey, Kitten" he whispers softly. She scrambles off of him, pressing herself back against the wall. Trembling as she clutches to her legs. "You okay there?" Bucky asks her as he sits up, crossing his legs on the floor. He hates seeing her like this. What these people have reduced her to. He turns a glances at Peggy who hangs her head. She knows how bad Tati has gotten since she was brought in. He scoots closer to Tati and she whimpers at the proximity. He touches her shoulder gently and she sniffles before leaning forward, falling into his arms, Bucky wraps his arms around her tightly. "It's okay" he whispers soothingly. "I've got you" he strokes her hair a little and closes his eyes. This wasn't the reunion he had in mind. Holding her is what he wanted but not comforting her like this, feeling her trembling against him. Feeling how skinny and boney she is now. He hates it. he hates what they've done to her.

"Junior" she breaths hugging him tightly to her. He kisses her head and breaths her in, she stinks, but he doesn't care, he has her in his arms again, and after everything that he's been through he needs her. He needs this. And from the way she is clutching to him. She needs this and him too.

..............

Steve and Bucky don't linger in that place with Tati, Bucky wanted her out of there. Peggy had arranged a hotel room for the night, just for Tati to recover a little before they leave. Bucky was hoping for a little more time with her but he can't exactly ask for more in the middle of war. The room is actually pretty nice, considering. Obviously the SSR are trying to make up for what they did to her. Steve sets the suitcase sized box they'd been given by Howard on the dresser as Tati glances around the room. She's been quiet since they left. They don't blame her.

"I'll leave you two to....catch up" Steve offers. "I'll have some food sent up for her" Bucky nods in thanks and takes a breath as his eyes shift to Tati as she falls onto the bed, Steve smiles a little and then slips out of the room. Tati nuzzles into the bedding, how long since she slept in a real bed. Bucky smiles watching her indulge in the fabrics beneath her. Her fingers grasping at the covers. She looks so tiny. Bucky kneels on the bed and brushes her hair back from her face, her eyes flickering up to meet his.

"Do you want a bath?" he asks her, she hums a little and nods curling up, he nods a little and then stands again before he heads into the side bathroom, Tati closes her eyes, only for a moment, just a moment.

.............

Bucky leaves the bathroom when the water is warm and the bath is full, but he finds Tati fast asleep on the bed. He sighs softly and moves closer to her to join her. He wraps his arms tightly around her, holding her close to him as he presses himself to her back as he joins her in slumber. Sleeping soundly for the first time in months.

.............

Tati is awake now, but Bucky sleeps soundly at her side, she lays facing him, watching his eyes shift behind the lid. Her fingers trace over the lines on his face, she takes in how tired his skin looks, how tired he looks.

"I'm sorry" she whispers.

"Why?" she jumps a little when he talks, assuming he had been asleep. He opens his eyes to look at her. "Why are you sorry?"

"Just...for before" she stutters out wanting to hide away, to escape. She turns, intending on fleeing. He grabs her wrist and pulls her back into the bed.

"Don't go" he pleads. "Stay" she keeps her head hung low. "Please" he whispers, she turns and curls into his chest. He relaxes and nuzzles into her hair.

"How long?" she asks him. "How long was I in there?" He sighs a little.

"6 months" he answers her sadly. She was kept a prisoner far longer than he was. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asks her, she shakes her head.

"No" she vocalises. "But I know we have to" she sits up again. "Let me go to the bathroom first" she whispers and stands before she quickly disappears into the room, Bucky knows she needs space and time to process what she is going to tell him. She knows her abilities have been shown and now she has to tell him everything. She can't not tell him. She cares too much for him. And she knows she does.