She tore her eyes away, felt them begin to burn as a knot form in her throat. "I-I..." she found herself looking at Temari, who smiled encouragingly. Kankuro gave a slight thumbs up from beside his sister. Yuma looked to Gaara, hoping the cold collectiveness he held would give her the strength to do what needed done for the sake of her friends in the Akatsuki, and the family she had in Konaha. The family that sat here, waiting for her... but instead his gaze held instruction: don't give up.

"I regret my decision," she choked, cursing her weakness. "Those men and women, they didn't deserve to die. Not protecting their homes, their families." She felt tears burning her eyes, and saw a few council members recoil slightly as the crimson red began to carve harsh lines down her cheeks, evidently not having been informed of the rare trait she held. "I understand, I would do anything to protect my family as well. But... this isn't about me, not really." She took a deep breath. "I wish I'd had the insight to spare them, a simple incapacitation would've sufficed, would have been ideal in the situation. It would have ensured their ability to eventually return home, to continue their lives with a hint of normality-"

"This seems out of character for you," Sajo, the councilman from earlier, interrupted. He'd been regarding her with a hateful chill in his gaze since she'd entered the room, and seemed the most intent to have her put down. "We've heard of and seen what you're capable of. Stories of your time before Konaha, from your home village. We've seen how merciless you were during the chunnin exams-"

"Shall I remind you, Sajo," another councilman interrupted him, regarding him with somewhat of a cold expression. "That the fight of the Chunnin exams was initiated by us? This girl had every right to protect her home."

"Not my point, Joseki," Sajo snapped. "My point is: from everything we've heard and witnessed, this girl has held no remorse for her murders. Why start now?"

Before anyone could continue, Yuma cut in. "As Joseki pointed out a moment ago, I held no remorse for the killing during the Chunnin exams because I was defending my home, and family... the family though, I admittedly failed." She felt more tears fall as she recalled Gramps. He died because of her failure. "In my home village, it was full of demented, cruel, terrible people who raised me for slaughter, with less consideration that cattle would receive. I stand by my decision to wipe them from the earth, and will continue to stand by that. I haven't killed anyone who hadn't deserved it... up to now at least."

"And who are you to decide who 'deserves it'?" Sajo growled, clearly not happy with her explanations.

"Who are you to be such a dick?" Yuma retorted, unable to contain herself as rage burned in her blood. As he began to seethe, and a few other councilmen scoffed and choked down chuckles respectively, she suddenly remembered why exactly she was here. A thought crossed her mind, and her eyes widened. "Were... one of them... they were your family, weren't they?"

Sajo was stunned for a moment. He grit his teeth and glared at her. "My... my son..." he spat hatefully.

"I'm sorry," Yuma whispered, eyes wide as her guilt only grew. "I... understand why you're so driven for my death, now." Her head fell, shoulders slumped. "I've already said I don't expect forgiveness. I don't know how exactly I could make it up to your village, and the families I've ruined. All I can say is... if me dying is the only way to help you heal, then so be it."

"No," Sakura gasped.

"Yuma!" Naruto screamed, evidently no longer able to be kept under control. "You can't just... give up! What do you expect us to do?!"

"Naruto-" Kakashi began half heartedly, and as Yuma looked their way, she saw Naruto slap her guardian's hand away.

"If you aren't going to say anything, I will," he snarled. "What the hell are we supposed to tell everyone?! Ibiki? I thought you wanted to work with him again Yuma! And what about Shikamaru?! Pakkun? Everyone?!"

"Naruto, STOP!" Yuma barked, and the tone she held made Naruto paused. "You fucking idiot! Don't you get it? I DO want to go home. I DO want to see everyone again! WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT TO LEAVE AGAIN?!" she was left gasping for breath. SHe raised her cuffed hands and wiped the crimson tears away, smearing it across her cheeks in a not at all flattering manner. "But this is my mistake. I have to answer for it. This is all my fault..." she met his gaze regretfully. "And I'm sorry you all have to be affected by it, but... maybe you'll be better off with out me anyway..."

"No," Gaara interrupted, surprising everyone with the stern told he held, glaring Yuma down. "I've given you time to speak, Yuma. I've allowed your team to interrupt out of respect, as I failed to keep you safe after taking you away. Now, however, I'll be putting in my piece, and everyone is to remain silent while I do." Yuma expected his pointed look to be directed at Naruto, but instead it was trained on Sajo, who seems to have fallen silent anyway since Yuma accepted death as an attempt at apology.

"You may have helped coordinate my disappearance, but you obviously didn't know who I was in the act, considering your clear regret and surprise when we met for your arrest. I'm not as quick to disregard the killing of my people, however, but what I will say is this... No matter who here is for or against your freedom, your regret is genuine, you have not deflected the blame, made no excuses, and even offered your life as an attempt to repent for the actions that brought you here. Our options are this: You die, we follow your action in tearing you away from your friends and family. No one is happy, as your death will not return our lost ones to us. Or... you can live. Return home to the village we hold as an ally, protect your home, and family. Be the best ninja you can be, and work towards making up your crimes to the dead, rather than trying to satisfy the ones left behind." He paused, looked at her, then looked to the councilmen. "This trial is complete. Everyone except the councilmen and myself are to wait outside while a decision is made and, just as a precaution," he looked back at Yuma, eyes grim. "Say your goodbyes, just in case..."

Yuma met his gaze, and nodded. "Okay, Panda-chan." But her eyes said, 'Thank you.'

Return Of The Madnessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें