Chapter 25

Gaara's home was about what Yuma expected. Fairly plain, but cozy. Large, and fit for the Kazekage, but not too flashy, or particularly exuberant. Overall, it was nice, but lacking character. There were a few pictures hanging on the walls, mainly featuring him and his siblings, of course, but he seemed to have been forced into all of them. 

Yuma smiled at one photo specifically. Gaara was in the center, with Kankuro and Temari on either side, pinching his cheeks and pulling upwards slightly so he sported an unwilling smile. It was clearly after he had outgrown his vicious bloodlust, as there was no fear in the siblings' faces, and he stood there, visibly annoyed, but not angry. However, Yuma almost thought she noticed some sand hovering over the two in the background, in an almost threatening manner. 

"Your room will be down the hall, the third door to the right," she heard, the comment jarring her back to the present. She looked over at Gaara, gesturing to the family photo. 

"This is cute, Panda-chan," She grinned, beginning to fiddle with the eye patch covering her still light-sensitive right eye. 

"Stop that," Gaara scolded, using his sand to gently pull her hand away from her face, and effectively avoiding responding to her comment. 

"Awe man!" A loud voice complained, causing the two to turn to the kitchen doorway. There stood Kankuro, in lazy clothes, face bare of makeup, with a snack in hand. "You didn't say she was coming today!" 

"Well she's here," Gaara responded sharply, eyes narrowing at his older brother. "So you'd better get used to it, and don't be rude, Kankuro, I mean it."

At this, Kankuro heaved a great sigh, and Yuma smirked. "Yeah, Kankuro, don't be rude." And to add a little oomf to her teasing, she stuck her tongue out at him, feeling her new scars pull almost uncomfortably. 

"Leave her alone, Kankuro," a more feminine voice scolded as Temari entered the room as well. She was in the midst of pulling her hair into her signature ponytails as she glared at the brother in question. 

"But-"

"No buts!" She barked, making him jump. "We talked about this, and I told you what would happen if you made her feel unwelcome!" 

At this, Kankuro paled slightly, swallowing hard as the threat unknown to Yuma or Gaara resurfaced between the two eldest. As Temari sent him another look of warning, he nodded quickly, hurrying from the room and muttering about crazy sisters. 

Once the hostile one was gone, Temari sent Yuma a comforting smile. Yuma, unsure of the older teen's kindness, was instantly wary. It showed in how she tensed like an animal ready to bolt, but Gaara held her in place with an assuring hand on her shoulder. 

"Temari doesn't hold you responsible for what happened either," he informed. "Kankuro, however, still seems to be holding a grudge..."

Yuma relaxed slightly. "To be frank, I don't blame him, I was part of your kidnapping and near-death. I'm surprised that Temari isn't reacting similarly."

"You were essentially brainwashed," Temari shrugged. "Besides, Gaara's back and in good health."

Brainwashed. That word again.

Yuma hated it, the negative air it held above the Akatsuki. She knew it wasn't inaccurate, in the beginning at least, but that didn't stop the frown from crossing her lips, or her eye from travelling to her feet.

"Yuma?" Gaara asked, noticing the change in mood of his guest.

"I'm gonna get settled," Yuma muttered, walking down the hall to the room Gaara had earlier indicated.

"Oh... I suppose it's still a... sensitive topic for her..." Temari sighed, covering her guilty frown with her hand. "I'll let her have a minute, then I'll apologize."

"Maybe best to leave off the topic of her time with the Akatsuki," Gaara advised, looking to his sister as she nodded in agreement.

In her guest room, Yuma collapsed onto the bed with a sigh, staring at the ceiling sadly with her lips pursed.

"What's wrong?"

She jumped, looking wildly about the room, and beaming at the individual whose upper body poked from the wall, his bold eyes narrowed in poorly hidden concern.

"Zetsu!" Yuma whispered, eyes watering with joy. First Itachi and Kisame, now Zetsu? Was everyone going to visit her? Everyone except... "I imagine Pein doesn't know you're here?"

The white side of him smiled warmly, while the black side sported more of a mischievous grin.

"What do you think?"

Careful not to make too much noise, Yuma scrambled from the bed, diving into the cannibal's open arms and burrowing into his embrace.

"I missed you, Zetsu..."

He coughed, unused to this sort of affection. He expected her usual about vicious playfulness , but she seemed almost... fragile.

"What happened?" He asked quietly, pulling back and gesturing to the eyepatch over her eye, and the bandages covering obviously new injuries. He felt an anger begin to grip his heart. She was supposed to be safe when they gave her to the Leaf.

"Ah," Yuma grinned sheepishly, almost seeming embarrassed. "Well... I have this effect on people... but don't worry! They say I'll still be able to use my eye once it heals!"

Zetsu frowned, placing his hand on her head. "I can't stay much longer, or Leader will start suspecting something. I'll pass on word that you've been relocated for your safety. We're trying to make it appear that you've been relocated to another Village than the Leaf, but it's going to take a lot of 'evidence' to convince Leader, in the mean time, be careful."

"You too," Yuma frowned worriedly. "If Pein catches you all... Maybe you should just-"

"Shut the hell up!" He snarled, instantly regretting it as she flinched. He softened his tone. "We're not abandoning you, and we're not giving you over to Leader, whether you like it or not. Now, get some rest. Good bye, brat."

"I love you, Zetsu," Yuma sniffed, hugging him again. She wasn't expecting a response short of him fazing away, but jumped in surprise when she felt his lips press against the top of her head before he disappeared into the wall.

She sat on the bed, stared out the window at the Sand Village, and sighed softly.