Chapter 1: Close call

Aviva's grey eyes met her fathers, as she looked up at him and asked "When will you teach me to hunt them?" Toga took a sip of his hot coffee, and returned her gaze with a pained expression as he gazed out of the kitchen window.

"Daddy, you never answered my question." Toga abruptly stood up from the table then walked to the coat hanger to get his jacket, on his way out the door he kissed Aviva's small forehead before opening the door and leaving.

Aviva ran out the door, and kicked open the gate before running past her father and into the woods.

Toga spun around just in time to see his daughter disappear into the trees. "Damn it," He muttered, as he sprinted after her.

"Sweetheart, come back here! There's things in these woods that you must watch out for!" he called, as he continued to run after her.

He skidded to a stop when he reached the edge of the trees, and saw her standing in the clearing with her hands out in the wind.

"Aviva," He called, as he carefully made his way over to where she stood.

Her eyes opened, and she looked over at him, "Father!" she cried as soon as he stood in front of her.

"Why did you run off into the woods?" he asked, and she looked at him.

"I saw a bunny." she said, and he sighed in frustration.

"Next time, don't just run off like that alright?" he asked, and she nodded.

"I won't father, I promise." she said, and he nodded before picking her up. "Now, let's go home and have dinner ok?" he said and she nodded.

"What's mama making?" she asked, and Toga smiled. "It's a surprise dear, now let's go home." he said, as she stuffed her little face into the crook of his neck.