Chapter 23

Just then, Dr. Blossom came rushing in. When she saw that Poppy was awake, she gasped, "Queen Poppy!" Poppy said, "Yes, I'm awake. Everyone wanted you to check to see if I was healthy. I was really exhausted and hot, and ash was all over me. We figured that probably wasn't good."

The doctor nodded. "Of course." Then she turned to the group. "I need to ask that you guys step out while-" Poppy interrupted her. "Can Branch stay?" she asked. "Please?" Dr. Blossom replied, "Sure, why not?"

Poppy smiled as Branch walked back over to her. The doctor started to exam Poppy's chest, testing her breathing. She asked Poppy, "Did you breath in any ash or dust?" Poppy shrugged. "Probably," she answered. "There is likely still some in your lungs. Can you breath okay?" Poppy said, "Pretty well." Dr. Blossom said that was good.

She continued to check Poppy and when she was done, she said, "You seem to be fine. You just need to rest for the next few days, and because you overheated, you should try to keep cool. You might have minor headaches from time to time, but if you experience anything other than that, come get me, okay?" Poppy said, "Okay. Thank you!"

Dr. Blossom left, and when she did, Branch and Poppy nuzzled noses, each glad that she was well. Peppy then came in and said, "Poppy, you have visitors." Poppy got excited. "Who?" she asked. Then King Quincy, Queen Essence, Trollex, and Barb walked in.

Barb ran to Poppy and gave her a tight hug. She said, "Oh my gosh, Poppy, I'm so glad you're okay!" This took Poppy by surprise. She asked, "Since when do you call me by my real name?" Barb replied, "Since whenever I care about you."

Then one by one, all the leaders gave Poppy a hug. They all looked like they wanted to say something, but before they could, Poppy told them, "Before you ask, I don't know how I survived that." Everyone closes their mouths at once. "Did the doctor come?" Poppy nodded. "She said that I should rest for the rest of the week and try to keep cool. I'm all good otherwise."

Barb said, "Something tells me your gonna try to find a way to still work instead of rest." Poppy put on a sheepish grin. Branch joked, "I'm going to have to keep an eye on you." He put a hand on her shoulder. They all laughed. Poppy said, "Still, make sure I rest. I'm going to want to work around the village, but it's just gonna get me sick."

The rulers all said goodbye and left, leaving Poppy and Branch alone. They shared a little kiss again, the kiss saying a thousand words. They leaned their foreheads together, and Branch said, "I'll always be by your side." Poppy smiled. "And I'll always be by yours," she said.