Chapter 12

Back with Branch, he sighed. He looked at the shelf full of the cards Poppy had made him. He had kept them all this time. He had let all his grumpiness out on Poppy, and after that, he felt a bit calmer. Letting it out felt good. Except when it was on your girlfriend. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on her, Branch thought. He had always feared something like this would happen, where their relationship was jeopardized. Now his worst fear had come true.

He wanted to go comfort her, but one, she would probably be either mad at him or upset with him, and two, she probably didn't want to be bothered right now. Branch decided to just stay where no one can see him, but not in his bunker. He didn't want to go back to his upset side. He wanted to go to where the sunset was beautiful, but he thought Poppy might go there eventually, since they go there all the time. So instead, he went to where he had taken Poppy on a little picnic date once. He relaxed there, hoping he could go comfort her later.

~

Poppy's friends had offered to cut the list short for her since she wasn't the happy, upbeat troll she usually was. She had finished everything on the shortened list, and she just wanted to rest, but unfortunately, her conscience wouldn't let her.

She wanted to make up with Branch, but somehow without interacting with him. She settled on writing a letter and leaving it at his door. She wrote, Branchifer, I don't know why you were so mad at me earlier. I was pretty stressed out because I woke up late. I needed you. Please come by soon. With love,  Poppy.

After writing the note, Poppy headed out and walked to the bunker. Making sure Branch couldn't see or hear her, she left the note at the mat. She hoped he'd see it because she valued him more than anything in the world. She can't bear to lose him.

The queen was stressed, troubled, and worried. She needed to clear her head badly. She didn't pay attention to where she was going at all, but she let her heart and feet guide her. She ended up at the place she took Branch to watch the sunset together.

She sat down, laying in the grass. She let the sound of the wind shaking the trees and the feel of the grass underneath her feet relax her, and she eventually drifted off to sleep, unaware that Branch was doing the same thing across the village.