"Derek? W-what.. What happened." Your voice wavered as you felt the ambulance fly over several potholes.

He put an arm across your chest as you tried to sit up. "I think you better stay on your back, miss thing. We caught the unsub, you did your job."

"B-But.. Spenc-" Derek cut you off.

"He's ahead of us.. Probably already at the hospital."

Hope.

"Is it bad?" You mentally slapped yourself. Did you really want to hear this?

"He's okay.. I mean.." Derek paused and took one of your hands into his. 

Shit, it's bad.

You squeezed his hand and your lips curved down. "Derek. Please."

You acknowledged his face, which was knitted in worry and defeat. He clearly didn't know a good way to word his following sentence.

"He wasn't responding at the scene."

Your chest tightened again, and you felt your breath stick in your throat. You suddenly were light-headed, causing your head to drop back and roll to the side on the stretcher.

"Y/n?" Derek's eyebrows narrowed, and his eyes darted between one of your hands he was holding, and your face. "Y/n?!"

Your vision blacked out, it was peaceful again.

You woke up to the glorious symphony of beeps emitting from your heart monitor.

How pleasant.

"Y/n?"

"Hmm... What?... Christ can someone turn the lights off? It's so damn bright."

"That's the sun.. Uhm.. I'll just close the curtains."

It took a moment of staring at the plain ceiling tiles to make you recognize you Emily's voice.

"Sorry Em..." You heard heels click into the room, and chuckled. " Ooh! I know those shoes anywhere. Welcome to the party, JJ. Could you help a girl out and prop me up?"

JJ giggled at your sassy remark, and a moment passed by before her blonde hair came into your peripheral. As JJ pressed a square button on the side of your hospital bed to straighten the back of your bed, Emily spoke again.

"How are you feeling, y/n?" Emily asked as she continued to pull the curtains closed, making the bright sun rays muted and tolerable.

JJ released the button from under her index finger once you reached a nice upright position.

"Quite fuzzy. My neck is killing me. My left leg feels like it's asleep... But I know some shit got stuck in it."

"Yes, some of the glass from the windows.. And a large piece of metal from the exterior of the car." Emily swiped the back of her hands on her slacks after finishing fixing the curtains. 

"Jesus..." You sighed, swallowing a lump in your throat. You hoped that you hadn't reopened any old wounds.

Alright. Enough was enough. You couldn't dance around this question forever. 

"I'd like to know if Spencer is doing okay. Last time Derek tried to tell me I passed out." You nervously picked at the skin by your thumb nails, awaiting their answer.

They didn't look like they had cried off their makeup.. So you assumed he was alive.

Emily sighed softly and glanced at JJ, who crossed her arms loosely over her chest.