It was for that fact and that fact only that I would give him any information I found. The thought of punishment was unnerving, yes, but I could take it if it prevented a war. But there were other things my father could do if I failed to provide him with what he wanted. Offering him a name wasn't a death sentence. But it would keep me alive and my father content.

"What are you thinking about?" Kaz asked. "You're making all kinds of faces."

His voice jolted me from my thoughts. "Oh, uh, what's for dinner."

"Dinner? It's only 10:00 AM."

"I didn't eat breakfast."

"I have some snacks if you want them," he offered. "Our lunch break isn't for another two hours. It must be a big difference compared to being homeschooled where you can eat when you want."

"Yeah, but the food is much better here. My father keeps my sister and me on strict diets. Even just the thought of eating egg whites in the morning makes me nauseous now."

Kaz frowned down at me. "Why does your father have you on a diet?"

"To stay fit," I said with a shrug. I never questioned it. Questioning my father about anything never led to good results.

"That's..." He furrowed his eyebrows before letting out a soft breath. "Well, no one here will dictate your autonomy. Eat whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it, okay?"

I blinked at him. "Okay."

His face wrinkled as he turned away, guiding me into the stairwell that led to our next class.

As we entered the room, several heads turned up at us. Beady eyes glanced between Claude and I and the effect was almost instantaneous. A flurry of papers being scuffled together, books being closed and shoved into bags, chairs shrieking as the students pushed back. They kept their heads down, whispering to each other as they fled the room. Claude didn't react, heading to the back of the classroom and dropping into a seat. I thought about taking a seat in the front, but Kaz guessed my intentions and steered me up and next to Claude. I looked around the room and saw that three other students remained. They tried to subtly peek at us, but I could feel it every time someone did. Were they not aware of the sensation they gave off?

Another person entered the classroom and came to a halt as he stared up at Claude. It took me a moment to realize it was Lietz. He hunched his shoulders and moved to the mahogany desk at the front of the room, dropping his briefcase on it. "As a teacher, I should be happy you're suddenly willing to attend your classes, Claude, but also a teacher it is unfortunate that when you do the entire class goes missing."

Claude stared at him with a stony face.

"Do you really need to come to class?"

Lietz looked as if the whole world turned against him just because Claude was here. Was it okay for him to talk to Claude like that? And was it even Claude's fault if the other students chose to leave? Why would he put the blame on Claude like that?

Claude leaned forward, propping up his elbow and resting his chin on his hand. "Since you're a teacher, it should be a great pleasure to hear that I will be attending class regularly from now on."

Lietz's face crumpled. "Oh, no."

"If the other students are too craven to attend the same class as me, then that is not my problem," Claude continued. "You are still being compensated. Instruct as normal."