Chapter nineteen: Peeta

I'm dressed in the hastily made Mockingjay armoured suit and on the roof of the Justice Building with a clear view. I have a earpiece in connecting me to Haymitch in 13 just in case he needs to direct me to a good propo shot.

"The girl is just fine. Will you please focus so you don't go and get yourself killed like you did in the Quell?" His rough tired voice sounds in my ear. I roll my eyes and shake my head at him.

"Where is she right now?" I ask wanting to know that she's nowhere near a screen to see this play out.

"With Prim outside hunting and fishing and probably swimming."

"At night?"

"It's the only place without a screen showing this right now. So yes, she's out at night. She and Prim have Johanna and Annie and Finnick with them. They're fine. Focus!" 

I look at the mountain as our hovercrafts are ignored by the commanders in the Nut and allowed to pass around. However after two rounds of bombing we have their attention. By the time their anitaircraft weapons fire it's too late and Gale's plan exceeds expectations.

Beetee was right about the inability to control the forced natural disaster. Once the mountain sides are set in motion they are crashing in like two waves meeting. The sides are naturally unstable, but to see the Nut completely collapse.

The Nut is now a tomb. The avalanche obliterated any sign that human beings ever set foot on the place and now we all stand speechless. We're tiny as the stone waves flow down the mountain as loud as thunder. The cloud of dirt and debris blackens the already dark night sky.

I can imagine the inside of the tomb we created. Much like when we were bombed in 13. Lights, sirens, and panicked shrieks. We are just like the Capitol. No different. Willing to kill anyone in our way to keep ahead.

"Peeta!" I hear Haymitch yell into my ear but I shake my head. No. I did not want to kill innocent people and they did it without a blink of an eye. "Peeta!"

I've seen the mine collapse and kill through the years. I've seen many mourn. I've seen the destruction of families. I've seen the tears. What have we done?

"Peeta, talk to me. I know you're there." Haymitch is obviously concerned and slightly angry.

"What? We just bombed and trapped innocent people. We are no different than the Capitol." I yell my hand pointing to the Nut even though Haymitch can't see. The other's on the roof have left and I just want to yell at them.

"Inside. Now. The Capitol may retaliate. Katniss won't be better if you're dead, boy. Inside." His voice is sharp and commanding. I trudge inside and look at the building. The same building I was in just a year ago getting congratulated for winning the Games. For killing children.

Where Katniss was failing to calm the districts even with my help. Where we faced Cato's family. The other blonde boy who I shoved to the mutts. The mutts with the eyes of every other tribute. The mutts that tore him apart just like we did the families of 2 with people in the Nut.

"Peeta, we didn't bomb the tunnel. Some will get out." Boggs has the glint of the white marble shining on his skin. I glare at him and just laugh.

"Oh, yeah. They'll get out then we'll shoot them. Face it. We're no better than them." I hiss out pointing to his gun.

"Only if we have to."

"And you will refuse to sent the train in to help evacuate wounded."

"We need to go."

"So my face and be plaster all of the screens and show that I'm some hero when we just hurt hundreds if not thousands of people including our own. So my face can be the center and I get all the credit for being the leader of the rebellion when I am just a pretty face for Coin to control."