Chapter four: Katniss

The screams come like clockwork like the arena. First is Enobaria screaming for whatever to cease and for her to rest. Then it's Annie, that one hurts the most. She has such a frail voice crying out for Finnick. She screams high pitch screams of his name hoping he would come to save her. After there's silence which screams louder than anything. We all wait for what happens next. After the silence it's Johanna's turn. Her screams are drowned out by the sound of rushing water and electricity zapping. More silence. Soon it will be my turn.

I curl in the corner the farthest from the door. They switched my chain from around my waist to my foot. This is so they can transport me easier. They've been making me watch videos. Videos that aren't true. They aren't true! Peeta loves me. He would never do what he does in those videos.

"Miss Everdeen." Snow's slithery snaked voice enters the room sending a chill down my back. I cover my ears and begin to sing.

"Deep in the meadow. Under the willow. A bed of grass. A soft green pillow."

"Miss Everdeen the singing is useless. It's time for fun." His voice makes it through my barrier. I just have to sing louder.

"Lay down your head! And close your sleepy eyes. And when again they open the sun will rise!" I feel a hand grab my hair before my head is hit against the wall. "Here it's safe! And here it's warm! Here the daisies guard you from every harm! Here your dreams are sweet!" My head hits the wall again. "And tomorrow brings them true! Here is the place WHERE I LOVE YOU!" I scream as I'm thrown to the floor.

"Clean her up and bring her to the room." Snow says finally walking away from me. I curl into myself as I continue to hum the Meadow Song. Peeta loves me. Peeta loves me and Prim loves me. My mother loves me. Gale loves me. They wouldn't never hurt me. These videos are a lie.

I'm grabbed by men and I just keep my eyes shut as I continue to hum. I will never stop. Never. I'm carried to the room with the needles and videos.

I'm sat in a chair and strapped in, but I continue to hum. They force my eyes open and I feel a tear fall down my cheek, but I won't stop humming. A video begins but I drown out the sound by humming. The words in the video are lies. Peeta never said that.

"Shut her up!" Snow orders and one of his goons plugs my nose. I go to open my mouth to scream and sing when I'm punched across the face. "Open your mouth we'll close that too." I swallow hard and try to look anywhere but the video.

In the video Peeta is choking me. He's yelling that he hates me. That he always hated me and just used me to stay alive. He's yelling that I'm worthless and that I'm nothing but a mutt.

Peeta would never say those things. He would never. Right? I feel a poke in my neck and the world goes shiny. The video continued showing me my family trying to kill me. Calling me a mutt. No. I'm not a mutt. They scream that they hate me. No. They love me.

I am finally released back into my cell to be chained to the floor. I curl into the corner and hold myself. The door opens and I look up scared of what will happen next.

The person walking in isn't Snow. Who are they? Why are they here? "Miss Everdeen, I'm a medic. I'm here to make sure your face is all healed up before your debut on television." This woman says. She has bright pink skin and leopard spots on her arms. She's dressed in an obnoxiously bright orange dress.

"Television debut?" I ask my voice hoarse from screaming. Do the citizens know what he's doing to me? Does she know the torture that goes on inside these cells?

"President Snow wants to announce that you're the winner of the Quarter Quell! Isn't that exciting? You're the winner. So he's going to have you go on television. He's also going to have you put an end to this nonsense that the Districts are doing." She says as she starts to mess with my nose.

"The nonsense? What's going on in the Districts?" I ask as she puts a salve on my head where Snow had hit it against the wall.

"Well, apparently District Thirteen exists. And your husband Peeta Mellark is there. They themselves sent out a video of him and that hunky Gale going to District Twelve and talking about the bombing."

"Gale's alive? Peeta's alive?"

"Yes, but they're trying to start a war. But oh how sweet Peeta was talking about you. He said that if you were watching that you should know your sister and mother are in good hands and he's taking care of them for you. He said that he loves you so very much and that he won't rest until you're safe." She said before the door opens and Snow is standing there. "Well, how silly of him. You are safe. Right here with us." The lady stands and offers a smile to Snow. "Mister President, she's all ready. A little makeup and she'll look as good as new on the television!"

"Perfect." The lady practically skips out of the room allowing Snow to come towards me and grab my neck. "You will follow orders and read what is on the monitor. Understand? You answer them and you do not rebel. Do you understand? You do and you'll get it worse tomorrow."

I nod in fear before I am picked up by men and taken to be dolled up by three new people. I wonder where my team is. Are they being held captive too? Who has them? What side are they on?

As I stare in the mirror my mind wanders. Will Peeta be watching? My sister? My mom? Gale? Will they be watching? Will they think I'm a traitor? Will they still love me? Will they know I love them? I'm grabbed by the arms and tear away from the mirror. Away from my dreams of being free with my family. Away from the reflection that holds my true feelings.

I am sat in a chair and my dress is fluffed. It's a sweet white dress. Fluffy and cute. However, there are sleeves and a turtle neck to hide my needle marks and my bruises. To hide the abuse my body has gone through. Caesar Flickerman sits in a chair across from me and offers me his signature white smile. As if he has no ideas the troubles I've gone through.

I feel unable to breathe. I look to my left and there they are. The signature white roses dosed in perfume that makes me nauseous. My attention is caught when Caesar waves at me.

"Yes?" I ask my throat fine after water was given to me during my session to become "beautiful".

"I'm just going to introduce you, much like we've done before, my sweet girl. Then I'm going to ask you a few questions. Answer them in your own time. Okay?" He asks. Over his shoulder I see Snow standing beside a screen with words. I nod my head and smile.

"Of course. Just like last time." I say knowing my life is on the line.