Chapter thirty-seven: Finnick

We've been in this mansion for a few days now. The girls have been doing well, Katniss hasn't had any episodes recently and Prim is having fun exploring the Capitol home. Peeta cooks all our meals and makes them amazing and I just keep everyone sane and safe while worrying about my wife.

"Hey Finnick! Can we play a game? Please?" Prim asks and I laugh at her giving her puppy eyes.

"As if I would ever tell you no!" I grab her around her waist and spin her a bit before setting her down. "Go pick out a game." I'm so glad this creep had children so he had games for the children to play. I'm also thankful he never allowed his children home while using me.

Clash!
"The horn of plenty overflows."
"AH!"

My head snaps from the tv to Katniss covering her ears as an episode takes her from us.

Peeta races over and wraps his arms around Katniss. "Shh, you're okay. You're okay." He says as he rocks her gently. "It's not real. What you're hearing or seeing isn't real." He whispers to her.

Prim looks lost as the national anthem of Panem plays. The game dropped on the floor and forgotten as Prim is reminded of our grim existence.

I open my arms and the little girl immediately races into them as I look at the tv wondering what is going on. What are they broadcasting? Who will it be? Snow? Coin? Who?

"H-hello." No. No no no no no. "My-my name is Annie Cre- Odair. My name is Annie Odair. I'm the wife of Finnick Odair. Though I suppose you all know that. Sorry." Annie fiddles with her hair as she looks off camera. "I-I'm not a person you see on screen often. I-I was always deemed too unstable for camera appearances or any appearances really. So if you forgot about me that's okay. I forget me too." She mumbles a little bit as she looks around.

"Annie, Annie." Haymitch calls sweetly to my wife who has completely forgotten what she's doing. It must be a live recording.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm in District Four at the moment. The doctors and therapist suggested that I go home due to some mental issues I've been having. But I'm okay. I'm okay I'm okay." She trails off mumbling again her fingers playing with her hair more roughly.

"Annie, remember what Coin asked you to say?" Haymitch asks and I tense at that.

"Oh, right." Annie looks right at the camera, right into my soul. "Finnick, you need to turn yourself in. You shouldn't have done that. You shouldn't have been bad like that. You shouldn't have left." Annie says but as she blinks it's a pattern.

After Annie's games she fell into a mute phase. She never said anything she was almost never there mentally. To communicate we learned Morse code so she could tap out what she needed like food, water, a kiss. She's using it again to get me a message.

Long short, slight pause, long long long, slight pause, long short, slight pause, long long long. Pause. Short short short, slight pause, long, pause, short long, slight pause, long short long long, pause. Short short short, slight pause, long, slight pause, short long, slight pause, long short long long, pause.

"No, no, stay, stay." I breathe out the message my wife has given me as my eye never leave her as she once again losses focus. "She's in District Four, she's safe. Coin made her make this. Coin is mad at us." I say turning to check on Peeta and Katniss.

Katniss is shaking like a leaf as she hides in Peeta's neck. Peeta is holding her close as he stares at me. "What do you mean? How do you know?"

"When Annie came back after her games she wasn't okay. She didn't talk, she didn't move. All she did was sit where you would place her and stare off into space. I had moved in with her and become her caretaker when I wasn't shipped off. I taught her Morse code to communicate so she could just tap out what she would need. She's telling us to stay here." I explain as I look back at the feed.