Family

(Jamal's brothers and their wives are in the mm. Kevin & Gina, Michael & Melissa)

I woke up to loud music. I glanced over at the clock. It was 30 minutes before Jamal's family and friends were to show up. I quickly go and shower. He should've woken me up by now. I get out the shower and get dressed in some dark blue ripped skinny jeans, a white sleeveless tank with 'IDFWY' in big black letters, and my black leather pumps. I straighten my hair and put on my black leather snap back. I then go and get the gifts Jamal and I got for Amiyah. I bring them downstairs. Jamal had Amiyah looking at tv so while he made sure everything was in place. I go and put the wrapped gifts on the kitchen table. Jamal bites his lip as I walk past him.

J: you tryna kill a nigga?

K: I'm not talking to you

J: why?

K: you didn't wake me up

J: aye once I saw how I had yo ass out for the count so I just let you sleep *I shake my head*

K: is everything set up?

J: yes just waiting on people to come. Why did we invite my brothers man?

K: cuz they have children the same age as Mi and you need to be with your family. Don't shut them out.

J: I mean they haven't checked on me and shit and now they wanna come up and be in my face and shit.

K: Jamal they are your family as well as Amiyah's. I don't have no one and she don't see her moms fam so who else should she know? Yeah she has friends but she needs family cuz on a daily basis she see only us and that gets lonely. *Jamal smirks and wraps his arms around my waist*

J: well we should have a baby then

K: boy please. I just got a job and I'm trying to lose weight as it is.

J: I'm telling you your fine baby

K: look I just want to lose some weight ok? Let me do so.

J: has someone said something?

K: people always saying something J. People judge me cuz of my weight. I just want that to stop. I can't get a job cuz of it. It just so happen that my new bosses didn't go off on looks.

J: fine baby. I just want you happy.

K: I know and I will be once I lose 30

J: oh hell no 10 max. You can't lose the curves baby. *he pouts*

K: I'll think about it. *he kisses me and I kiss back. We were interrupted by little shoes running across the hard wood floors.*

A: mommy that's a lot of gifts. They for me?

K: yes baby but you have to open them later.

A: awl man *she looks down and pouts. I smile and pick her up*

K: you can't be sad today. You're a big girl now. *she plays with the ends of my hair*

A: but I wanna open them.

K: don't you want to do it once all your friends come and they bring gifts too?

A: yeah I guess

K: you guess?

A: yes ma'am *the doorbell rings*

K: how about we go and see who's at the door

A: okay *I put her down and hold her hand as we walk to the door. I see a tall chocolate skinned guy with a short petite woman holding a baby and a little boy about Amiyah's age stood shyly behind her.