Chapter 5: Together, Forward

3 days had passed since the drums were sounded, informing the entire Clan that we were at war with the Drifters of the Zeraos. All the Summoners who were of age started rigorous training. We were required to pinpoint our desired specialty. Men could be mechanics, officers, espionage and many other exciting career options. Women, not so much…we had two options either to be healers or fighters. Most of us chose healing; I am one of the few who haven’t chosen. I was still mulling over what Lady Claire had suggested to me earlier, about having the potential to be a good offensive Summoner. I did manage to hold my own during the invasion but is that my true calling?

There was another thing on my mind, and that was Kal. During the invasion, Kal had saved my life and his protective gaze was like something I recognized a long time ago. I thought to myself, perhaps it would be fair if I gave him one more chance? Then my mind yells ‘WARNING’. Which makes things a lot more difficult.

Well either way none of my conflicting thoughts are going to get settled if I stay here. I got up from the grass and dusted myself off then took a deep breath to and proceeded onward…forward.

We were all asked to meet in Heroes Square; it was located a little ways away from the Veinxian Temple, in the center of town. Lined with statues of Veinxians who have greatly contributed to Clan. The greatest honour the Clan can bestow.

It was not all that far from where I was hence I took my time walking over to the arena; I took the shortcut through the busy streets of the town. The town was noisy as per usual, the blacksmiths busily slammed their hammers onto hot iron, tempering away and forging new blades; spears, swords, daggers and other such weapons were created by the dozen and sold to the townspeople. The cry for war has increased the demand for weapons, at the docks I could see merchant ships from Sraosha who were skilled in creating all kinds of new technologies…especially weapons and Deutraz of which the finest swords are crafted and brought here for trade. All for this war…it makes me wonder…will the Pentione Alliance unite against the Zeraos threat? Or is this our fight alone?

Walking past a group of grouchy, middle-aged men I overheard their respective views on the Xarean Realm politics.

“Sraosha will most definitely come to our aid,” said the bearded one. “We’ve helped them quell various uprisings and terrorist attacks…they owe us!”

“That would also mean that we would have Deutrazian support!” said the one with scars on his face. “After the Effrisan uprising, didn’t they say our relations with the Swordsmen improved?”

“But will they really let go of their pride and help us? What if they want us gone too? They do consider us rivals.” The short one muttered.

“Nevferians can’t stand the Zeraos, we both have the same interests at heart” The one with scars on his face replid

“But aren’t they picky about getting their hands dirty?” The bearded man retorted, receiving agreeing nods all around.

“The Hunters never seem to get involved with anything…best not to hope on them…” The short one nodded to him as he poured himself a drink.