Prologue + Chapter 1: Haunting Past

Prologue

Long ago, when ancient creatures from the netherworld could be controlled at will by mere men, the Xarean Realm's borders were divided according to the dominion of the various clans that inhabited the realm; Sraosha of the North, Nevfer of the East, Ferrain of the West, the Zeraos of the NorthEast, Deutraz of the Central Lands while the Veinx rule the Southwest.

Each clan had their own talent and powers. The Clans consisted of the talented Alchemists of the Sraosha, the skilful Hunters of Ferrain, the gallant Swordsmen of Deutraz, the pure White Magicians of Nevfer, the silent ambitious Drifters of the Zeraos and the stark and tenacious Summoners of the Veinx Clan.

For ages since the dawn of the Clan War, the clans have kept a mutual respect of each other however, the clans are all wary of the sinister ambitions of the Zeraos. They were not a model of peace, and have proven so many times throughout history by attacking innocents for no reason. It's obvious that eternal peace is definitely not on their agenda. That alone was apparent. The Clan leaders have managed to control them but in order to maintain this fragile peace, the Veinx clan had reinforced their ranks and became an intimidating force to be reckoned with, which instilled fear into the hearts of the Zeraos.

For the time being...

The Veinx clan had been Summoners since the dawn of time. The founder of the Veinx, Lord Kaerryn had delved into the art of communing with beings from the netherworld known as the Ancients. Legend has it, Kal'dur Kaerryn (Lord Kaerryn) meditated on the Holy Mountains of the Souls just communicating with the Ancients. The Ancients were the ancient creatures and spirits that played their part in the existence of the Realm along with the Souls of the Xarean, the Keepers of Balance.

The role of the Souls of the Xarean is to maintain the delicate balance of the Xarean Realm between the Clans and also in the netherworld. They're considered by the Clans to be their deities and the Ancients, their instruments.

After forging a contract with his blood, Lord Kaerryn had created an eternal bond between the Ancient beings and his clan forever. The art of summoning has been passed on to not only the members of the Veinx clan but to members of the other clans as well.

However, its perfection can only be done through the bloodline of the Veinx, through their genetic ability known as the Eye of Kaerryn. Where a summoner's full potential is unleashed, this ability causes the iris of the summoner to turn into a golden hue and gain a surge of power to amplify the strength of their summons.

Every Leader chosen by the Ancients will be granted the Eternal Eye, where their iris will remain golden in colour. This ability's full potential is still unexplored even by the leaders themselves.

Because of the vast prowess of the Veinx, the Zeraos are constantly looking for ways to destroy them, for they are the toughest obstacle for their dominance of the Realm. Now, we come to this story. This is the final chapter of the legacy of the Veinx Clan, how love, friendship and betrayal has destroyed a clan in a mere night and how love can become the greatest strength and yet the harshest downfall.

Chapter 1 - Haunting Past

Listen. Listen to me. Please, we do not have long…and this may be my only chance to explain everything; from how we got to this point and why I have done what I have done.  Please, lend me your ears. My name is Caroline Cliffrianne, a Summoner from the Veinx Clan and this is my story.

Seeker of Truth, the reason why this night came to pass began more than a century before it occurred. It all stemmed from the age of our forefathers, the Clan War followed by the Red War. During the Clan War, Clans were pitted against each other in a battle for dominance; the Sraoshans, Nefverans, Ferrainians, Duetrazians, Veinxians and the Zeraos fought one another for a period of 54 years.  The war had taken a toll on the people’s lives as well as the Realm’s resources, in light of that, Sir Jayce (Clan Leader of the Veinx Clan at the time) gathered the other Clan Leaders and proposed a truce and an alliance to be made. The other Clan Leaders were also under great pressure by their people for fighting a war with more sacrifices than benefits. Hence, they agreed and the Hexion Alliance was established.