Chapter 2: The Troubling Present

Chapter 2: Troubling Present

Caroline looked at the boy curiously, unsure of whether or not she should introduce herself. She hid behind her father's legs and held onto the fabric as she stole a glimpse at the new strangers at the front door. The boy stood beside the older man, his eyes were a bright stormy blue, they looked empty and that frightened Caroline. His black hair was short and ruffled. The boy never made eye contact. He seemed occupied in thought.

"Greetings Lord Castor, who do we owe the pleasant visit?" her father asked the other man.

The man smiled. He firmly shook her father's hand and replied, "Just a casual visit. I brought this little tyke, my nephew"

"I see. Pollux's kid..." her father murmured, Castor nodded in reply. His tone fell. Caroline looked up at her father whose expression changed. "Hey, little guy, what's your name?"

The boy whispered. "Kal..."

"Nice to meet you, Kal. Why don't you play with my daughter?" Her father lightly tapped Caroline's shoulder. "Go on, why don't you keep Kal company while I talk to Uncle Castor, alright?"

Caroline nodded shyly, burying her face into her fathers pant cloth.

"That's my girl. Castor! What would you like?"

"Just a brandy, old friend. There is much I need to tell you"

They left the living room and made their way to the kitchen. Their voices soon died away in the distance. Kal remained in the exact same spot, his eyes casted to the floor. Caroline slowly crept closer to him and tilted her head, hoping to get his attention.

"Hi! I'm Caroline, you're Kal right?" she asked in a bright chirp. Kal nervously looked up at the young Caroline. Her light brown hair was only up to her shoulders and she had huge hazel-green eyes. She was adorable, and Kal was not used to speaking to other kids especially a girl.

"Yeah..." he replied. He shuffled his feet and looked down. He played with his fingers. Noticing he was withdrawing back into silence, Caroline held onto his cold hands and told him:

"Come on, then!" Caroline dragged him outside and from that moment on...Kal knew his life would be changed forever.

A gentle rapping on the door stopped our chitchat about the past. We turned to face the door and said in unison.

"Come in"

A young man steps into the room and leans on the doorframe. Noticeable because of his messy, striking blonde hair and his emerald-green eyes, he wore a simple sleeveless tunic with a pair of simple trousers.

"Came as soon as I heard. Hey girls!" the young man greeted with a wide smile.

This young man is none other than one of my best friends, Joshua Jacka'l son of the Veinxian Army's Commander, James Jacka'l. He is just the amazing ray of sunshine and I am eternally grateful for his existence.

"Hiya Josh. Whats up!" Charlene exclaimed while waving at him excitedly.

"Hi Charlene, always a pleasure darling" Josh replied with a smirk.

"Greetings, Jacka'l" Jan greeted without facing him. She glanced at him but turned away almost immediately. Josh raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms.

"Hi there, Kaerryn-girl. Should I have brought gifts?"

"I'd rather not"

They left a heavy atmosphere around the room; an awkward silence ensued right after. Josh and Jan don't always get along this fabulously. Josh doesn't share much love for the Kaerryns (he told me it was a family thing) and Jan doesn't appreciate his sassy comments about her family.