Chapter 1: Diagnosing

Poke.

Twitch.

"Ne, Sasuke-"

"No."

"But-"

"No."

Sigh.

Silence.

Poke.

"Dobe!"

The blond let out a 'manly' squeak when a calculus book was thrown his way; he had just narrowly dodge the attack by throwing himself on the soft carpeted floor. "Hey! Teme, there's no reason to go ballistic!"

Said teme glared at what he called his best friend. He honestly had no idea how he'd accepted the term for the idiotic mongrel. Must've been in his twos, when he was still too naive to realize the torment the stereotype dumb blond would bring his way. "Maybe I wouldn't go 'ballistic'," he air-quoted the word with his fingers, "if you would've just left me alone!"

Naruto sniffed where he sat on the floor, a cute pout on his lips that made Sasuke's eyebrow jerk. "But I want company! I'm lonely, Sasuke!"

Uchiha Sasuke sighed, rubbing a hand on his face, as he leaned back on his desk's black chair. "Moron, you're 17 years old, get a new playmate."

Uzumaki Naruto groaned loudly, throwing himself back to lay on his best friend's room's floor. He stretched like a cat, curling himself at the comfortable ground, his swimming trunks making an irritating sound. "But Sakura-chan's shopping with Ino, Kiba's too busy with Hinata-chan, and Neji's being just as dorky as you are! Sai's free but he always gives me the creeps! Besides, you're my best friend since we're practically born! You should.."

The raven ignored the blond when he continued to babble on, returning to his assignments for next week that were nearly done. However, he couldn't seem to really concentrate, finding himself musing over Naruto's predicament. Why, he'd never really know. He's always so unbearably annoying. Despite that, somehow the youngest Uchiha has grown to truly care for him, not like he was ever admitting that out loud. Naruto was just that way. Their groups of friends were so different, but, ironically, they were all attracted to the dobe someway or another, like planets orbiting the blinding sun. Sure, they had similarities. Much like all the planets. But different masses and velocities in time-lines. For example, Sasuke could be similar to Hyuuga Neji in manners, similar to Nara Shikamaru in smarts, similar-cue the shudder- to Sai in looks, and-

Sasuke abruptly stopped himself in horror, then proceeded to slap his forehead on his textbook in agony. He was getting caught up again, dammit! And he was even comparing them to his astronomy class! And Naruto's still having a freaking monologue!

As if feeling his little brother's distress miles away, his one and only beloved older brother peered his head through the gap at the door. He raised an elegant eyebrow at the sight of his younger sibling slumped on his desk muttering under his breath, and his brother's best friend talking as animatedly as always on the floor.

Uchiha Itachi chuckled, a small smile curling on his lips. He has always been fond of their friendship and constant bickering, furthermore proving opposites attracted. He could freshly remember the times when he'd so often found them cuddled up with each other deep in sleep in the younger years, now its minimal, and the times when they'd both have non-stop wrestling matches when angered enough. But the most he was appreciative over for their relationship, was at the occasions when Sasuke needed someone the most, like when the elder brother had been in a tragic car accident just five years ago, and Naruto was always there. And the other way around, like the time when Naruto came back sporting bruises and a near-concussion, and Itachi the next day was called into the office to see a battered Sasuke but even more brutality injured seniors who had been the cause of Naruto's anguish. Yes, to Itachi, it was a very admirable friendship indeed. "Naruto-kun."