seven

Veronica's POV

I woke up screaming. I shot up out of JD's arms as I awoke. Instantly, JD was up too.

"What's wrong?" He asked me. I just looked at him and cried, still so upset at what he had done in my dreams. No words managed to leave my mouth so he tried to pull me close to him. "Did you have a nightmare?" He questioned.

Yes, but I didn't wake up all the way.

I yanked myself out of his arms and rolled over, curling into myself. I didn't want him to touch me. I had relived moments of him being evil.

I could still hear the sound of that bomb, the screaming of my classmates as they begged for help. Worst of all? I could still feel every ounce of fear I had for JD in that car as he told me "See what I did for you?"

"Baby," JD murmured to me. I wanted to yell at him to not call me that but again, the words wouldn't leave my mouth.

So instead, I stood up and went to the bathroom to get away from him. I left the door open like I was supposed to, but I was going to be breaking another rule. I reached my hands into the pocket of JD's trench coat, still the only thing I wore, and pulled out a small gold key.

I ran out of the bathroom and past our bed, hurrying to the door that locked from the inside and trying to put the key into it. JD came up behind me and picked me up, taking me back to our bed and throwing me down onto it.

I kept the key held tightly in my fist, but he pried my fingers open and took it from me. While it was in his hand, he ripped his trench coat off of me and shoved the key back into the pocket, tossing the coat onto the floor.

"What the fuck were you trying to do?" JD asked me, his voice giving away the fact that he was livid with me. I curled into a ball on the center of the bed and wept, not answering him. "Answer me." He ordered, not understanding that I could not speak.

I managed to form one word and set it free. "Can't." I told him, still holding myself tightly in fear of him.

He yanked me up again. "Did you have a bad dream?" He asked me, clearly trying to figure out why I would try to escape him after last night. I nodded and he sighed heavily. "What happened?" He asked.

"Bomb." I gave my one-word reply to him.

"Oh, honey." He said, sounding upset now as he wrapped me into his arms to comfort me. I tried to pull away from him out of instinct, feeling like I was back in his car watching our high school blow up all over. I screamed as it blew up in my mind again.

"Stop it!" I shouted at JD, who thankfully didn't get angry at me. He just pulled away and sat there helplessly. I curled back up into a ball and held the sides of my head.

He didn't hold me to comfort me, instead he rubbed my head to help alleviate the pain there. "It's okay, sweetheart." He soothed me, petting my hair gently.

"I hate this." I cried at him.

"I'm so sorry." He apologized to me. "I did what I did for you." He added.

See what I did for you?

"I didn't want you to do that." I reminded him. "I fucking begged you not to." I snapped at him, to which he sighed heavily.

"I know. I didn't listen and I'm sorry." He apologized again. "But hey, you got your revenge by shooting off my finger." He joked, trying to make me laugh.

"You're a jerk," I teased him back, turning to face him. "I'm sorry I freaked so bad." I apologized.

I don't know why I apologized for having a panic attack. That's all I ever did here was apologize to him, trying not to tip the boat and make him angry.