Chapter Twelve : It's Party Time!

"This is your night Mia. Don't think too much, I know you have waited long enough. Now, I won't let you miss this chance, so here, take my lipgloss and show him what you are worth." Claire ended her little speech with a flourish, and held out the lipgloss.

"It's actually my lipgloss..."

I started but her expression was so determined, I was obliged to obey.

And maybe I do need to stop being such a pansy.

I looked across the room where Matty was sitting. He was laughing heartily, and excitedly fist-bumping his buddies.

Matty was obviously the life of this party. His happiness was infectious, and it really grew on me as I found myself conjuring up a smile too just by looking at him.

Yes I can do this. I will do this.

This is my night.

"Give me the damn lipgloss." I stood up confidently and grabbed the lipgloss from her hand.

Claire beamed and shoved me towards the direction of the washroom.

Okay. Let's do this thing.

I was glad it was almost empty, the washroom I mean.

Maybe its a little wierd, childish even but I get a little self conscious when people keep on staring, you know, keeping an eye on my every move. I thought it was rude to stare, but apparently no one else does.

This is part of the reason I am always late to classes after PE and sports practices because for the love of god, I just cannot bring myself to change clothes in front of all the people. It's not that I am ashamed of my body. Maybe its just in my head but those people don't stop staring!

I put the lip gloss on the counter and looked around. Who's house is this anyway?

The bathroom looked so luxurious, I could spend my whole night in here. White tiled, minimalistic though elegant styling, and boy was that a huge mirror!

My whole bathroom could fit in this person's bathtub.

I quickly applied the lipgloss and ruffled my hair.

I then stared at my nervous reflection in the mirror for a few moments, trying to muster up a smile which came out to be as fake as ever.

God. I can't go outside like this! I have to return to my normal mode.

Okay, let's think, what would normal me be doing right now?

I looked around for answers when my eyes darted to the shelves beside the mirror, and so did my feet.

I reached for the shelf handle, hesitated for just a second but then I decided to open it anyway- anything to distract my nerves right now.

For a minute, I thought it was locked but the lock on the shelves was apparently one of those incredibly-hard-to-open-magnetic-locks, so it only gave way when it encountered some violent shakes from me.

My effort was however too violent for the delicate expensive thing. It nearly took the shelf off its hinges and into my hands. A small bottle of cologne rolled over and dripped all over the shelf and my shoe.

I could have dropped down on my knees and thanked God that it didn't break. I currently don't have the money to pay for it. Damn, mom was right, I have got to lessen my starbucks visits.

Well, the cologne tells me it might be a guy's house. I carefully pick up the bottle of cologne, trying to save whatever that was left and kept it back just when some stacks of books kept on the lowermost shelf caught my eye.