Chapter Thirteen : Hungover Sunday Breakfast

I woke up to the rays of sunshine invading my room. Today was one of those rare mornings in the house, because today, I woke up with a smile.

It wasn't particularly early so I didn't get mad at mom for not closing the curtains, the same way she didn't get mad at me when I reached home last night, which was quite surprising, taking into account all my past experiences.

I had expected yelling, or fighting, ending up with a stricter curfew for me. But none of that happened. Mom had actually forgotten about it by the time I had reached home.

Apparently between the short time when I was blushing because of Matty's hand touching me and the time I took to stumble back home, mom had been packing up to leave.

I thought she was so mad at me that she was throwing me out, but that wasn't it. A call had come from my aunt- the one mom didn't particularly like, saying that she was sick and naturally-being the saviour that mom is, she had to go.

So she was so annoyed at that, that she didn't bother with me!

I lazily stretched out of bed and went downstairs, following the smell of bacon and eggs. I was terribly hungry and what's better than a Sunday morning breakfast?

Rubbing my eyes, I walked over to the kitchen and bumped into Jamie, my little brother.

"Hey ...." I smiled at him.

He barely came up to my stomach but he was growing fast. He looked up to me through his thick little glasses and I bent down to hug him.

"Later!" He stuck his tongue out and ran past me, clad in his karate uniform.

"And goodmorning to you too." I rolled my eyes. I really don't want him to grow up so soon.

"You have your bags?" Dad asked Jamie as he entered the kitchen. He pecked the side of my head and picked up his keys from the counter.

"Yes!" Came the response from the living room, where the TV now blared.

"But do you have all your stuff inside the bags? I am not driving back again for it like the last time. Understood?" Dad said firmly.

"Yes dad! Don't worry I can take care of myself. I know karate." He shouted proudly and began showing off leg kicks and whatnot.

Dad and I shook our heads at eachother. He isn't gonna grow up anytime soon.

"Okay Mia, I'll drop Jamie off to the class and then I some work out of town so I'll probably won't be back till late afternoon. Be good." I nodded and he rushed out of the door dragging Jamie along with him.

Okay, time to eat! I opened up the pan which smelled deliciously of bacon. But to my massive disappointment, it was empty.

And the eggs? Barely left.

Thanks dad.

Nobody bothered to leave breakfast for me. I might as well be invisible in this house. My stomach gurgled, so loudly that I would have been embarrassed if anyone was around.

Okay, I have to find a solution for that. Cereal's not gonna help me survive the afternoon.

Oh! I still have Claire's keys with me. I can go out for breakfast! I knew this morning would be good.

I headed up the stairs, quickly showered and put on some clothes. Just as I got out of the room, my phone beeped from the bed.

The ringtone was Claire's. Great timing, I was just about to forget my phone.

I read the text Claire sent me, and then had the urge to smash the phone, along with her head.

After the events last night, I left her more than a million messages. She had promised, pinky-sweared, that she won't go near Conner, her ex, again. After a long time, even I had thought that Conner was good for Claire, until he went and cheated on her with basically half the cheerleading squad.