Mr. Loverman

The day was cold and brisk, unlike the man's temperature. Mr. Johansson, a new widower dragged his heavy feet along the sidewalk, his head far above the concrete below himself.

One crack, two crack, three crack... Fifty cracks? The male looked up from the ground below with a tired roll of his eyes, scanning the area around him. Wind blew harshly, leaving him with a terrible shake in his legs.

"John! You should be inside, dear!"

The voice, one sickly sweet rang in his ears and his head (which somehow tilted back down to the sidewalk) snapped right back up, only for the man to look around with no sign of where his Loverman was.

"Where did you go, honey? Why do you call to me like the wind of this cold day," the grey haired man mumbled, his eyes watering up.

One step, two step... Two and a half- three.

Jonathan stopped again, looking back up. Maybe he wasn't seeing clearly? Surely his dearest was with him! This was their daily walk at the park, after all! His sweet husband would never miss a single walk! But...

Jonathan had missed their walks for a week... Surely dearest wouldn't be upset, right? It was just that the man needed some time! He had to visit the hospital for a bunch of checkups, that's why!

Where is he?

"Kurt?"

The man looked around again, bringing his hands up to his cheeks to rub at them. The sandpaper-y feeling he got made his vision worse than it was before, but it helped with the dried tears.

One more call! Surely his lover would answer now! The male shouted out again, placing his hands on his hips as he looked around once again. Nothing.

One step, two steps... Twenty steps? A bench!

The man sighed in relief, walking up to the wooden furniture so he could collapse on the right side. A breath escaped his chapped lips as Mr. Johansson exhaled out. The air around him fogged up from the sudden hot wind as the male's soft, grey eyes studied the tree above him.

He stared into a single petal until it somehow fell, but even then, he watched it carefully as it drifted down and landed right onto the tip of his pointed nose.

"Silly leaf. Go find yourself a new home, now that you left your old one." The man blew on the leaf, sending it backwards before he sat up correctly once more. Time sure flies, huh.

As John stood back up and dusted his pants off, he glanced back at the bench and his eyes narrowed on a sign plastered in the middle. This wasn't uncommon- there were plenty of benches dedicated or donated by people. The elder smiled, running his fingers along the freshly made words before stretching, hearing a few joints pop as he looked around, smiling as if his lover was right at his side- like they usually were.

"Well Kurt. Let's head back. I'm tired, okay?" The male looked to the empty space, offering the brightest smile he could muster to nothing but the grass.

Dearly departed, Kurt Johansson. Married, loved, left. 1980-2020, we all miss you.

As the male started walking again and left the bench, his mood seemed to get more flustered again. He was with his husband! He could feel him at his side! There was nothing wrong...

At the sight of the large, metal sign signalling the entrance, the elder had to pause again, sitting down on a bench. His face was wet. Why was it wet? The man sniffles and rubbed at his cheeks with a small chuckle, not liking the empty feeling he was suddenly being overwhelmed with.

"Don't cry, dearest. There's no need!"

With a sniffle, the man nodded, putting on his best smile. Kurt was right. There was no need. Geez... just like old times!

"I'm not crying dearest... Jus' the weather." John stood up again, only to bump shoulders with someone. A young man? No... It was his loverman! There he was!

The passerbyer was shocked, to say the least. He had heard of this man, so the name Jonathan Johansson came easily off his tongue as he reached out and helped steady the other. This man was in his mid-fifties, right?

To lose someone like that so young...

"Mr. Johansson-"

"It's John, silly. We've been married for twenty years, no need to be formal."

The younger of the two's eyes widened as he suddenly felt his body become swallowed whole by the other's larger frame. He wasn't Mr. Johansson's lover, he was only Andy- a graduated college student with a degree in baking. Not the famous man he had heard so much about in this small town.

Flabbergasted, the smaller nodded before smiling, gently pushing on the older and getting him to sit back down. How should he break it to the man...

"Mr- John. Are you on your walk again?" Andy gave his best smile, tugging all of his body except for his hand from the other.

"Yes yes! This is our daily walk, Kurt! How could you forget!"

The elder looked to the other. It really was his husband! He had the same, silky white hair, those baby blue eyes, and those cherry red lips that he could never forget about.

John stood back up again, reaching out to wrap his arm around Kurt's waist, then started walking back to his house like normal. He started talking lightly, getting occasional answers from his dearest. Strange. Kurt is usually the talker, maybe he's a bit tired today.

"Dearest, we're home. What do you want for dinner?" John gave one of his warmest smiles to the complete stranger, who swallowed thickly in return. A head shake was seen before the smaller led the two into the house.

"Chilly," the male noted, hugging his jacket close to his body. He quickly went around and turned the thermostat to a higher setting, watching as the man in his mid-forties shuffled around the kitchen.

What was he going to do...