prologue

Veronica's POV

"You need to stop this, JD!" I shouted at my ex-boyfriend, who stood over his homemade bomb with those angry eyes that frightened me to my core. I had the gun he left in my room last night pointed at him, hoping to God that he was scared of me.

I knew he wasn't. He was never scared of me, because he was far more evil. A great white shark isn't scared of a guppy. I was the pupil and he was the teacher. Every tactic I had was one he taught me. So of course he wasn't scared of me.

"Fuck you." He said back to me, flipping me off. I attempted to shoot past him as he did this, to make him realize how insane he was being. But I was never any good at shooting. I had somehow managed to shoot his middle finger off, however. He cursed to himself, charging towards me.

"Stop!" I screamed at him, but he was already in front of me. His face was all curled up with anger as he wrapped his remaining fingers into my hair, yanking my head straight into his knee and slamming it down.

Then it all went black.

Author's Note: This story will contain GRAPHIC depictions of
- sexual assault & rape
- physical abuse
- emotional abuse
- child abuse
- Stockholm syndrome

This is a very dark story, much darker than I usually go for my portrayals of abuse. Please do not read this story any further if you are triggered by any of the above issues.