Chapter 22: Aftermath

The bells rang loud across the capital city, signalling the death of the Firelord. Mako and I were kept separate from everyone by the lords including my Grandparents who I had not seen yet. We had been placed under heavy guard in one of the parlour rooms. Mako sat on the couch while I laid across it with my head on his lap. My face was tight from my constant crying as I replayed the scene over and over in my head to find all my mistakes that lead to my Mother's death. I should have heard when they came in, I should have taken them down quickly and I should have stayed by her side. "It was my fault," I whisper as my tears filled my eyes again, I turned over and wrapped my arms around Mako's waist as I sobbed into his stomach.

"It's not your fault, Rina." He cooed running his fingers through my hair. I brought my knees up to my stomach as I try to stop crying because as soon as the palace is secure, I am to address the nation. Mako lifted me up and grabbed my shoulders forcing me to look him in the eyes, "I know what you are thinking, but you need to let yourself cry."

I nod and stare at him through my teary eyes. In twelve hours, I was meant to marry this wonderful man and have the happiest day of my life but now, I will be mourning my murdered mother. I wrap my arms around him and crawl onto his lap as he holds me against him. We just sat in silence taking comfort in each other until the door opened and I saw the red-stained eyes of my grandmother. I stumble off Mako and run to her as my Grandma, Grandpa and brother enter the room. I engulf her in a tight hug as we both start crying again, I look up to see my Grandfather's eyes had tears in them as he looked down at me. Mako walks over to him and they share a solemn hug, I then turn to my brother. He had bags under his eyes from his late-night arrival but his face was stone. He looked down at me and his facade started to crumble. He embraced me and he crying into my shoulder, "I should have been here, I'm so sorry."

"No, don't blame yourself please," I begged. We didn't say anything more and just mourned knowing we were safe with each other.

As the sun started to appear over the ocean, I stood in front of the doors to the palace where months ago I waited for my coronation to start. On the other side of this door were thousands of Fire Nation citizens waiting to hear why the bells rang so late in the night. It has been over 70 years since the bells last rang signalling the death of a Firelord, many would not remember the meaning. The doors were open and I walked out, I had four guards following me and my family stood to the side. A Lord stood at the microphone and announced me, "Crowned Princess Rina of the Fire Nation."

He moved and I thanked him before taking his place, I looked at the confused and nervous crowd. I could hear the mumbling about my Mother and many attendees held candles and flowers. "Late last night, Firelord Izumi was murdered." Some gasped and other's cried but I continued with the statement. "Three assassins entered my room where Firelord Izumi and I slept with the intent to kill me. In our slumber, one of the assassin's stabbed the Firelord Izumi in the back in confusion then attacked me. I was able to subdue the attackers with the help of the guards but when we return to help Firelord Izumi, she was already gone."

I set back as I try to fight back my tears, he glances at me and I quietly ask him to take over for me. I stand by his side, as he announces my mother's funeral which will take place in a days time and my coronation which is in two days aswell as the postponement of Mako and I's wedding. With the murder of the Firelord, the nation can not be without a leader for to long or someone will try to fill it. As the crowd leaves, I stand by as representatives from many families come to give condolences and white flowers. I bowed to each person in appreciation, my mother was highly respected by the Nation's people and I know I have big shoes to fill.

I fell still as I followed the servants into my old bedroom, I've been in this room since I was four years old. I have so many memories but now it held the memory of my mother's death, which will haunt me for the remainder of my life. I glaced around at the furniture, the bedding was missing  and many of the drawers. They were beginning to move Mako and I into the Firelord's bedroom, the largest one in the palace. My Mother was not yet in her grave yet the palace just moved her out. My Grandparents were staying for a few months to make sure everything runned smoothly, Grandpa had told me it was the same when Firelord Azulan died. A maid came up to me and bowed, she then handed me a small piece of cloth. I open it and inside was small dried red lily petal. I smiles at it and carefully recover it, it had been a traditional for over a hundred years for a mother to leave a flower petal in the bedroom of their daughter the night before her wedding. It was meant to bring good luck but I don't think it worked for either of us otherwise my Mother would be smiling at me as I walked down the aisle at this moment.

I walk down the hallway where the Firelord's room is, the curtains where drawn back letting the bright sun into the room. Photos of my family lined the walls, it was double the size of bedroom and held a large desk. I brushed my hand across the desk and placed the flower down on it. A soft breeze came through the open windows and I walked onto the balcony, it over looked the Captial village. I could see everyone doing their daily activities, I felt the exact same as the day I first came out onto this balcony. Like I was on top of the world, I always looked under the Fire nation citizens as my Mother's problem and then my Brother but little did I know they would be my people. That thought made me dread what tomorrow would bring.