Chapter 21: When Youth Ends

My Mother and I were walking through the garden as the guests started to arrive for the wedding. It was only a day away and we were letting many of the guests stay in the Palace. Tai Hei had offered us a deal with the United Forces just under a month ago, they want Tai Hei to join the table of lords to oversee the national training programs. Our priorities were not with the training programs as the majority of the schools in the Nation were independent. We were still weighing up the offer and the idea had split responses with the lords but the decision was postponed until after the wedding.

My mother turns to me and takes my arm, "I want to tell you before everyone dotes over you but Mako is very lucky to have you. You're smart, kind and passionate and I'm so proud of how you have taken to your training. I love you."

"I love you too, Mum." We embrace each other. A voice cuts off our sweet moment.

"Izumi, it was about time you showed our favourite granddaughter some love," Mum rolls her eyes as we let go of each other, my grandmother walks towards us with her arms wide open. I rush into them, my grandfather was following behind her like a lost puppy. She pats my hair as I kiss her cheek and move onto my Grandfather.

"Hi, Grandpa," I say softly hugging him. He smiles and embraces me, we separate and watch my mother and Grandma bicker about one of the many things that we had already organised for the wedding. He takes my shoulder and guides me into the palace, "It's time for you to greet your guests,"

I nod and we enter the gallery, I smiled as an older lady rushes up to me. "Rina, it is so good to finally meet you." She wore Earth Kingdom clothes and had a red scarf wrapped around her neck, it finally clicked in my head.

"Grandma Yin, Mako has told me so much about you. I'm so sorry that I haven't been to see you before this." I say. Tears brim the older lady's eyes, I reach up and brush a few tears away. I bend down a little more and take her hands. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, I never got to meet my daughter-in-law but I'm so happy I get to meet you. Mako loves you so much and I'm so glad, I'm around to see him marry you." She cries wrapping her arms around me, I start tearing up and I see their other family members staring at us. I hug her higher and rub her back. We separate and she smiles, "You are so beautiful and I love royalty, so I want your photo up in our house!"

I laugh and turn as someone enter the hall, Mako walks up beside me and wraps his arm around my waist. His Grandma looks at us proudly then starts to round up the rest of her family. Mako hugs her grandma and then his cousins. He grabs my arm and whispers into my ear, "I believe your Aunt Azula has arrived,"

I mouth a quick thank you and go to meet my Aunt, she was reluctant to return to the Palace but only a day ago she announced that she was going to appear at our wedding. I walk around the corner and I see what a dreaded most, my grandma and Great-aunt Azula face to face, " Sachiko, it has been a long time,"

"Not long enough," My Grandma replies glaring at her Husband's younger sister. I walk up awkwardly but I stop at my Grandma's next statement. "We are too old to be feuding, though we have our differences and a difficult past, I willing to put it behind me for the duration of Rina's wedding, for her and Mako's sake only."

"It's just like you to take the high road, you were always such a bore. We could have added a bit of drama to this family gathering." She peers behind my Grandma and laughs, "Where is Zuzu? He is usually following you around like a lost puppy."

"He is helping the Firelord with some business that has arrived so Rina can greet her fiance's family." I take it as my queue to enter the conversation, the two older women turn to me. Azula smirks, she brings into a hug which catches me off guard.

"Thank you for coming Aunt Azula, it means a lot." I smile and look around the hallway, the decoration had not changed since she was here last except for a few gifts over the last 60 years from diplomatic visitors. "I know you weren't so happy about returning to the palace but you are welcome here."

"I wouldn't say welcome." My grandma grumbles beside me, we both look at her but she keeps her head held high. I roll my eyes and take my great-aunt's arm.

"Let me take you to your room so you can get comfortable, you are in one of the guests' rooms on the second floor." She grunts, I chuckle. "I would have given you your old room but it has been mine for twenty years."

"So," She says. I shake my head as we continue to the guest room in silence.

As the sunset over the city, I found myself alone in Mako's and I room. My head rested against the window sill, looking out over the gardens. The palace staff were rushing around trying to set up the wedding and reception area for tomorrow. The royal gardens were one of my favourite places in the world and I've always wanted to get married here surrounded by my family and friends. Tomorrow at 2 pm, I will be walking down the aisle towards Mako where we will profess our love for each other. 

I turn as the door opens, my Mother stands in the doorway with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Excited and happy," I answer as my feet touch the ground. We both went onto my bed and laid down, "Sucks that I can stay with Mako for the night, I've grown so used to having someone next to me."

"It's tradition to not see your fiance the night before the wedding," She mutters, we turn to face each other. She brushes the hair out of my face, she pulls the sheets over us as the breeze enters the open window. In the moonlight, she looked so young. I had many traits similar to her and I've hand people believe I was her in public. "I don't mean to alarm you but your hair looks grey in this light."

I hit her jokingly and she laughs. She wraps her arms around me and kisses my forehead, I felt like I was eight years old again when I had a fear of the dark. I would go to my mother's room where she would hold me just as she is now. She closed her eyes and I followed suit.

I woke up to a gasp, my eyes flew up and my Mother was staring at me wide-eyed. Her arms were tightly wrapped around me, I looked up and someone stood over us. I quickly sat up and noticed the face mask of a Sozin Fire member. I could see his eyes darting between me and my Mother, I blasted fire at him and the blue flames illuminated the room. Two more stood in the corners, "You got it wrong you, idiot, you missed her." '

They tried to attack me but I jumped out of the bed and landed on my hands. Using my feet I blasted one out of the room and I could hear the guards running down the hallway. I landed on my hands and got into a fighting stance, one threw a knife at me but I quickly blocked it and lodged into the wooden headrest above where I was sleeping. I kick him against the wall and the other crawled onto the ground in surrender, the guards rushed into the room and quickly surrounded them. The warning alarms started to sound and the lights in the hallway were now lit, I ran to my bed and turn my mother over. A small line of blood came out of her mouth but the bed underneath her was pooled with blood. "Mum?"

A small groan came out as her eyes flicked towards me, her fingers were moving as though she was trying to take my hand. I grasp it and brush the hair out of her face, her body felt still and my heart started to pound as I dropped her hand. "Mum? Mum?!" I started to shake, she and the guards rushed over. The noise in the room began to grow, "Mum, wake up! Please no! Please, I can't do this! Not without you!" Someone tried to grab me but I pushed them off as I kept my grip on my Mum. They wrap their arms around me and I reluctantly let go as the guards take my mother away leaving the blood on my bed. I hear the soothing words of Mako in my ear, he was crouched on the ground with me in his lap. I stare at the spot where she once laid, "She won't get to see us get married, or know her grandkids or see me follow in her footsteps."

"Rina, let's get you downstairs and away from this mess."