My heart was burning once again as my mind surged through memories, relaying back to November 3rd, 2017. I clenched my jaw, wishing I could slap myself free of this burden. I was Aaron Moore, god fucking dammit! I shouldn't be agonizing over trivial stuff like this when I knew he wasn't.

But the saying was true: when you care for someone more than they deserve, you get hurt more than you deserve and I was living proof that it was true.

I wished that I never came to this party. I wished that I never got sucked into playing spin the bottle, and I wished that I didn't have such uncanny luck to be put into this situation because look where it got me.

Absolutely no-fucking-where.

I heard footsteps behind me as I leaned on the handrail, cutting my eyes at the offending human behind me.

"What are you doing out here, Omari?" I narrowed my eyes carefully and the brown-skinned man threw his hands up in surrender, beating me to the punch. "No need to be all cautious, Aaron," He whispered with a soft smile before throwing his arm around my shoulder. "It's just me, cap," He uttered softly and I grunted, letting him into my personal space.

I didn't know if it was because I was too tired of holding up a guard or if it was just because I was glad someone was here, but I just took a deep breath of relief.

He just stood there with his arm around me, a thoughtful look etched all over his features as he stared at the twinkling in the sky, not saying anything. I had half of a mind to ask why he was here or why he wasn't saying anything because it wasn't like him to stay silent for too long. He and Akito were the ones who always causing mischief around these parts. Lo and behold, he beat me to the punch.

"I know."

Just two words had given me enough anxiety because there was only one thing in this world that he could be referring to. My eyes widened comically as I almost tore my neck off with how fast I turned to look at him. My heart was racing and my hands were clammy like I could hear my blood throbbing in my ears, "Relax, relax man. I don't need you working yourself into cardiac arrest before nationals," He rubbed my shoulder, offering me a pearly white grin. I took a deep breath, swallowing the knot of pure, cold fear in my throat.

"How do you know?"

He shrugged, looking from me to the scenery. "Lucy Hawthorne's my cousin. She told me everything because she recognized you two from my team," He explained and I nodded grimly, feeling my jaw trembling.

I didn't know what to say nor did I want to speak because I felt like my voice would betray me. I swore I wouldn't cry over that night again, especially not in front of anyone, but Omari was veering too close at the moment. "Of course," He yanked me to him, pinching my cheek. "I don't care," He chuckled, pouting playfully and I blinked in a stupor, obvious confusion written all over my face. "9th grade was the year we all messed up in, so it was no biggie. I guess I just became more aware of your feelings because that was when you started acting differently. I don't blame you," His chuckle fell to a silent hum as he rubbed my shoulder, comforting me in his own way.

"I'd be tremendously hurt if someone I trusted did that to me. Hell, I'd be fucking mad because how can someone I grew up with betray me like that?" I nodded, biting my lip to stop my eyes from watering.

I hadn't talked about that night with anyone because it wasn't like I could just come out and say it. I still didn't get an explanation for why it happened.

"But I'm gonna say this: there's no need in dwelling over it if you still don't know why," Omari's soft smile was the first thing I saw when I looked up. "I mean, please tell me you have some idea as to why," I shook my head no and he sighed, shaking his head in annoyance. "Zaid, you fucking idiot!" He mumbled under his breath, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"All I'm saying is that you haven't been presented with all the information yet, so before you go burning Zaid up and shit, just give him one more chance," I made a look of disgust before pulling away from him.

"He's had many chances, but he wanted to fly off to a whole different continent and leave me here in the dark, so fuck that, Omari! He doesn't get to come back and slide in line like everything's okay because it isn't," I growled lowly and Omari nodded, understanding what I was saying. "For what it's worth, you're the only one Zaid really cares about, you know, besides Katrine," I raised a brow, wondering if I had a brain cell that would believe that.

"I rather you didn't lie to me, Omari," I muttered dryly and he sighed, flicking me in the arm. "You're so smart yet so blind, it's unreal," He bit his lip. "You do realize why he's been stuck under your ass for the longest time," I shrugged, never really haven't given any thought. "Best friends tend to stick together."

Omari palmed his face, wishing he could kill himself. "Aaron Elijah Moore, I swear to god. Well, whatever. I can't be the one to tell you," He sounded apologetic and I didn't get why. He owed me nothing and he did nothing wrong. "I'll leave that up to my man, Zaid," I didn't want to think about that idiot anymore.

"But no matter what," He held out his hand, a bright smile on his face, one that livened up my night. "I got your back, man. No need to keep in all these feelings of angst because ewww," I grabbed his hand, yanking him towards me as I shoved my face in the crook of his neck, trying to hide the tears that were threatening to spill.

"Okay, okay, this is as far as we go because I don't want Zaid on my case," He pulled me out of his warmth and I pinched his arm, rolling my eyes. "Who gives a fuck what he thinks?" His brown eyes widened as he started sputtering reasons and I just held my hand up. "Shut up. Thank you, Omari. I'm glad to have you as my teammate and as my friend," I mustered enough courage to give him a grin and he nodded, ruffling my hair.

"Stop with the sentiments before I have to fight you," He snickered and I realized right then and there why I was his friend. "I'm too drunk for this," He whined before I pushed him off in the direction of the entrance, shaking my head with a dumb smile on my face.

Omari Bradbury was someone I had in my corner, it seemed.

I closed my eyes, leaning against the railing. I wished that I chugged several cups of alcohol because I knew that come tomorrow, I was going to remember every single thing. Fuck, I'd rather be anywhere but here.

"Why is our captain standing out here with such a long look on his face?" I heard a voice pull me from my thoughts and I recognized it as Melanie Mitchell, the owner of the party. A sudden flashback to Zaid holding her hand had me wanting to throw up and I had no clue why. It shouldn't bother, considering that it was all free game and competition to see who was truly the king of Northvale.

Me.

Of course.

"Can I help you with something?" I questioned politely and she shook her head, coming to stand next to me. What was with everyone wanting to stand next to me tonight? Did I smell good or something?

"I just wanted to ask you about that kiss with Zaid," She giggled and I let out a groan of annoyance as she continued. It always had something to do with Zaid and it was starting to piss me the fuck off. "What about it?" I threw a hand up, eyebrow twitching.

"It seemed like you were into it from where I was sitting," Melanie teased, letting her fingers dance across my shoulder and I leaned over to where her ear was, letting my breath fan the lobe. "Maybe I was or maybe Zaid was just too far gone because of my skills," I licked my lip, chuckling as I remembered the starry-eyed gaze he gave me.

"But either way, wouldn't you like to find out?"

Score for Aaron Moore.