Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The Dramatic Duo

***

I made a promise to myself that I would never go back to Forks... yeah, I am currently breaking that promise. 

 Jacob drove his motorcycle to the high school, for what I assumed was intimidation purposes, but I refused to get on one of those death machines, and therefore drove my trusty car. I parked it in one of the spots in the parking lot, and when I got out, a lot of people stared at me. 

 "Nice bike, Black." I teased, sauntering over to where Jake was casually leaning against the vehicle. "There are so many ways you could die on that thing." 

 "I don't need another safety lecture." He shot back, rolling his eyes and fighting off the grin I saw fighting its way onto his face. "I already know the probability of my bike exploding, you told me this morning." 

"It's an important thing to know!" I shot back, crossing my arms over my too-tight black T-Shirt. A group of teenagers passed us, and one girl with particularly large hair gave me a coy smirk. I blushed, averting my gaze as Jake chuckled at my awkwardness. I slapped his arm, rolling my eyes. "Where's Bella? And why do I have to be here?"  

 "She's in that car," he pointed to a silver Volvo pulling into the parking lot. Edward Cullen caught sight of us, and mumbled something to the girl beside him. "And because coming to Forks is our thing now, remember?" 

 "Why can't our thing be making pizza, or playing football, or something not physically painful!"

 Jacob shushed me as Bella and Edward got out of the car, my nose immediately scrunching up in disgust. Jacob bore a similar expression, but he forced his face to relax when Bella approached us, looking like she didn't take my advice for some iron supplements. 

 "I thought you left town." 

 "Dial down the stalker-ness." I muttered, low enough that Bella couldn't hear. Jacob sent me a glare from the corner of his eye, and I held up my hands in mock-surrender. 

"Yeah, to visit my mom." Bella responded, her tone as indifferent as always, like she only has one emotional setting. "Why?" 

 "He's checking if you're still alive." Edward crossed his arms, glaring at me, although he was talking about Jacob. I mocked his glare, crossing my eyes like an annoying three year old. Jake snorted. 

 "We're here to warn you," I jumped in, deciding that I have had enough of these guy's dramatic love-triangle, or whatever the hell it was. I took a step forward, brushing past Bella so I could glare down at Edward, only getting more people to stare at us. I lowered my voice, encase one of these humans have super-hearing. "If your kind ever come on our land again-" 

 "Hey," Bella walked forward, trying to push me back, but only succeeding in straining her frail wrists. "What are you talking about?" 

 Edward's expression was pained, "Emmett and Paul had a... misunderstanding." 

 "There's nothing to misunderstand," I shot back, jabbing my finger at his chest, although not wanting to touch him. "You keep your bloodsuckers off of our property."