Part 17

(Riku's POV)

The weight of the world lifts off my shoulders and air floods my lungs as I become able to breathe again. I'm free at long last... I close my eyes to let the feeling sink in, letting it restore some of my sanity.

The judge officially dismisses the assembly, which disperses and whispers amongst themselves. Most of the whispers I overhear are irritated and hostile, but that doesn't matter now. The only thing that does in Sora, only a few meters and a door between us now.

Although I desire to see him, I'll have all the time in the world with him from now on, and there's something else I have to do.

I turn to Officer Claire, who undoubtedly has played one of the biggest roles, and gave me this opportunity to be heard. Unsure what to even say, I try and fail to form words of gratitude.

"It wasn't just me. The main hero is that boyfriend of yours, who you shouldn't keep waiting any longer," she says, with a hint of a smile on her face. I extend my hand, which she shakes before nudging me towards the exit.

I take a deep breath to steady my heart which seems to be ripping out of my chest with excitement. Finally, with a grand push the doors fling open and I barely take a step before a figure launches on to me with the force of a hurricane.

"Rikuuu!"

"H-hey..." I stutter, still taken aback. He hugs me tighter, squishing my lungs so that my sight goes fuzzy, but I can't complain. Every touch from him is a miracle and a luxury I hardly even deserve. I hug him back, though not as tightly so I don't suffocate him, before pulling back to see his face up close at long last. His eyes look more tired than usual, but he still remains as adorable as ever despite that.

"Sora... I... I..." I stammer before so many emotions I have carried for too long swell up in my chest, constricting my breathing even more than Sora's lung crushing hug. I feel the wet little droplets role down my cheek before I even realise that I'm crying. Sora caresses my cheek and wipes away a tear but there's a million more to replace it. "I'm sorry..."

He shakes his head in protest. "You of all people shouldn't feel sorry, you've been through so, so much. Cry all you need."

I sniffle a little, trying to compose myself. It's more bittersweet than I thought it would be. The excitement, joy and gratitude intertwines with the guilt and self-loathing that I may never be able to truly overcome, at least for years. Sora's gentle smile and warmth is something I've yearned for over the past month, and I wish that's all there is to it, but so much has happened and it only adds to the guilt that I can have any other feelings besides happiness with him now.

As if sensing the darkness that clouds my mind, he pulls me in again to a hug.

"I'll always love you, ya know," he says with an edge in his voice, sounding like he's also about to break down in tears too. I chuckle a little at how precious he is. His words heal my shattered heart just slightly, but enough to restore light and warmth, making it beat once again.

He pulls away this time, and both of us sniffling and laughing messes. It really has been too long without each other, but this time we won't ever have to leave one another again.

He interlaces his fingers with mine and begins walking towards the exit, causing me to suddenly realise that I have no idea what comes next. I start to ask where we're going, but he cuts me off with the answer.

"We've got to hurry to the islands or we'll be late. It's almost sunset now."

"Why are we going there? Late for what?" I inquire. Despite being the taller one, I struggle to keep up with him as he walks with relentless speed and his pace only showing signs of increasing.

He looks back with his adorable, pure smile. "To your party!"

"W-what?" I can't believe I heard that right. How has something be organised so quickly? Surely he didn't arrange something so carelessly when my fate was still undecided?

"Exactly what I said, your party!"

"Sora, what if I wasn't released?"

"I dunno. I just knew you would be. Everybody helped with your case – Kairi, Axel, Terra, everyone – in whatever way they could, whether they knew the full story or not."

I'm shocked into silence for a while as Sora tugs me along at his feverishly fast speed. I knew Sora did everything he could for me, but it's news that others did, too. I try to ignore the guilt for dragging others into this mess, but the more I evade it the stronger it becomes.

"I'll have to apologise to everybody..."

Sora abruptly stops and faces me, taking both of my hands in his. His eyes sparkle with unwavering light that shakes the very core of my heart in a way only he can. As he speaks, his voice is just as determined as it was back in the courtroom.

"Stop thinking like that. That's what... That's what he wanted you to think, to be haunted by for the rest of your life. I know you feel guilty, and I know it won't go away easily. But I love you, and we helped you because we care. You're not a burden, and you haven't hurt us. The only thing that hurts is you blaming and hating yourself!"

Silence ensues for a few seconds as his words take effect. The guilt subsides some, replaced by the warmth of gratitude and overwhelming love for him. I can feel my mindset already shift for the better. Not enough to fix everything, but it's like the world shimmers with more colour than before, like there's more hope.

"Thanks, Sora. And I'm so-" I almost finish the word before he gives me an almost comical look of disbelief. I finish my sentence with a laugh instead of apologising for the billionth time after that's what he just told me off for. In so little time he's made me feel so much better, and I almost can believe that it'll be impossible to ever be sad again with him around. He smiles, and then pulls us onward with rapidity. Soon, the island is only a boat trip away.