ix. honey and chocolate

Start from the beginning

Eventually, it was time for the students to head over to the carriages. The girls managed to get a carriage together, Dominique sitting opposite Kathryn and beside Lily. In all honesty, she didn't listen to much of what they were saying. It wasn't to be rude; she just had a habit of switching off sometimes. But Kathy would occasionally pull her back into the conversation.

   "I still don't understand why you had to invite the boys," Lily grumbled, looking out of the window and using her finger to pull the curtains back. "All they ever do is cause trouble."

   "I didn't invite the boys, I invited Frank," Alice corrected. "The boys overheard and asked to join. What did you want me to do, say no?"

   "Perhaps you should've. You know James never leaves me alone," Lily whined, turning back to the group. "I've never met a boy more persistent."

   "I don't know, I'd say Sirius is pretty persistent," Mary said, glancing over at Marlene. "He was after Marlene last year."

   "And then he grew bored, because that's what Black does. He gets bored," Marlene replied, seemingly irritated by the mere mention of the boy.

   "I wouldn't say so," Kathryn spoke up. "I think once he finds the one, he'll settle." As if she couldn't be more obvious, the Ravenclaw girl turned to Dominique, who rolled her eyes.

   "Maybe he will. I wonder what girl will be able to deal with his shit," Marlene said, folding her arms.

Thankfully, they had made it to Hogsmeade, and everyone piled out of the carriages and onto the cobblestone ground. Dominique brushed down her dress and coat before following after the girls as they approached the boys, beginning to regret wearing a pinafore dress instead of jeans. Her exposed legs were quickly becoming cold, but she didn't show it.

As she joined the now bigger group, Dominique let out a yelp as Sirius unexpectedly wrapped his arm around her shoulder. To his surprise, she didn't move it away, mostly because his body was giving off heat and it was especially cold that day.

   "I think you're warming up to me, princess," Sirius chuckled. It seemed he didn't care if any of the group saw them, while Dominique did. And because they were in public, she didn't need Snape or any of the other Slytherins boys giving her grief later on. "You look great."

   "Thank you," Dominique answered. Sirius reached his hand over and took the hat from her head, instead placing it on his own. "Hey!"

   "What? Don't you think it suits me?" Sirius asked, giving her a cheeky grin. She wouldn't admit it, but it did suit him. Hence why she didn't take it back, but simply rolled her eyes before walking back over to the rest of the group.

They all decided to go to the Three Broomsticks first, as they needed a drink to warm up. Frank and Alice had gone to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop instead, meaning the group had been reduced from eleven to nine. They found a booth and managed to fit inside one, four on one side and four on the other with Mary sitting at the top end of the table. Dominique was sat between Remus and Sirius, Kathryn sitting opposite her.

   "I have to say, Marlene, your outfit is looking pretty dull today," James said. His comment was sarcastic, as Marlene was wearing a bright orange sweater with a matching orange headband. The girl scowled.

   "Fuck off, James."

   "Come on, now, let's not argue so early in matin." Sirius turned to Dominique. "See, I can speak a little French too."

   "Really?" Dominique raised an eyebrow. "Say something else, then."

Sirius stared at her for a moment, as if wondering if he should confess that he didn't know anything else or make something up on the spot. Out of the blue, Remus spoke up.