ii. lighten the mood

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ˗
sorry, just trying to lighten the mood. 

𝟐𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

𝟐𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

THE THROBBING HEADACHE DOMINIQUE HAD ACQUIRED was what put her in a sour mood from the moment she woke up the next day. The tradition between the group of Slytherins - consisting of Dominique, Mulciber, Avery, Rosier, occasionally Snape, Regulus and Lestrange - was to drink themselves into oblivion on the first night back at school, and despite the effects of it the next morning each time they did it, it didn't seem to deter them from doing it the next year.

This year, Snape hadn't participated, which was probably a wise decision, for Dominique could hardly get out of bed without moaning and groaning. Those in her dormitory steered clear from the girl, knowing that she could turn even scarier than usual when in a bad mood.

After getting changed into her uniform, her tie not as proportionate as she would usually wear it but not caring enough to correct it, she walked back over to her bed, a smile making its way into her lips as she stretched her arms out to the black cat sat perched on her bed. The cat rested itself in her lap comfortably, purring quietly as Dominique held her. The pet was named Judy, after its owner's favourite actress, Judy Garland. This interest in the muggle actress only came about because of Kathryn, who forced the girl to watch the Wizard of Oz a few summers ago. She didn't like to admit it, but the entertainment industry in the muggle world was astounding.

Dominique ended up leaving the Slytherin common room later than she had intended, meaning she only had a few minutes to make it to her first class. Potions with Professor Slughorn. But she didn't rush, grabbing an apple from the practically empty Great Hall before heading down to the dungeons, the tapping of her shoes echoing through the corridors. She would admit, she didn't look her best, the hangover as a consequence of excessive alcohol consumption the previous night leaving her unable to pull herself together physically or care enough to do so. Her hair was left out and only combed a little, and not a splash of makeup could be found on her face, which was unusual for her. But none of that was on her mind as she entered the potions classroom, the door creaking upon her arrival.

The classroom was full, containing an even mix of Slytherins and Gryffindors. Although potions was no longer a compulsory subject at this stage of their education, it was still a somewhat popular subject. Professor Slughorn turned to the girl, his mouth opened as if he had been preparing to speak before she had arrived. Dominique shifted her bag higher up her shoulder, feeling everyone's stares burning into her. Not that she cared.

   "Sorry I'm late, Professor," Nott apologised, arms folded in front of her. It would have seemed like an insincere apology, but she followed it with a slightly sheepish smile, bringing some sincerity to her words. Professor Slughorn merely waved his hand dismissively, a smile on his face as he shook his head.